Alto Sax Mouthpieces - advice please

I use Legere Signature synthetic reeds on my clarinet

I had a Vandoren B45 and changed to a Vandoren CL5 which was a great improvement for me. I changed after trying dozens of mouthpieces so I am sure this was the right one for me.

There must be something in the design of the CL5 that is different to the B45 and worked so well for me.

I have an alto sax with a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece and I find it difficult to play the Legere Signature synthetic reed on it (although a wooden reed is fine).

I will be looking for a new mouthpiece for my alto sax, based on the fact that the CL5 plays the synthetic reeds so well for me on the clarinet, is there an equivalent for alto sax?

Would appreciate the views of the sages on here.

I am by no means a sage, but I can share some information about tip openings. I wasn't familiar with the CL5 and so I looked it up. It has a 1.24mm tip opening which is equal to about 49 thousandths of an inch. This puts the opening about midway between a B45 and a B45 lyre on clarinet, both of which represent a medium tip opening for clarinet mouthpieces.

The Yamaha 4C alto sax mouthpiece has a tip opening of only 63 thousandths of an inch which makes it the narrowest tip opening of all popular sax mouthpieces. The medium or "middle of the road" tip opening range for alto sax mouthpieces is about 75 - 78 thousandths of an inch according to Jody Espina. You might try the Vandoren A6 mouthpiece which has a tip opening of 77 thousandths of an inch to see if your Legere synthetics work better on it. Good luck.

They offer the AL series for alto, listed as the Optimum. That appears to be the alto sax version of the CL.

I have tried a few and liked the Otto Link 5, however I tried an Otto Link 5* (the metal one) and as far as I could tell this was the nicest to play.

I was a bit miffed by the store as they wanted me to pay 'post and package' although I was standing in the shop with it in my hand (and had driven 30 miles to try it) so I didn't get it then.

However looking around on the web I found that the price I was offered was far better than anywhere else so I ordered it from the store online.

I have read that metal mouthpieces are not for beginners - which I am being a clarinettist. But Hey Ho, the moneys gone now and I should get it in the post in a few days.

I am determined to stay with synthetic reeds and they only seem to come into their own with certain mouthpieces. I get the impression that they like a mouthpiece with a wider gap between the edge and the reed.

Last edited:
I was a bit miffed by the store as they wanted me to pay 'post and package' although I was standing in the shop with it in my hand (and had driven 30 miles to try it) so I didn't get it then.

Wow! That is truly a rip-off. It's come to this, has it? Retail stores charge shipping and handling even if we're shopping in their brick and mortar buildings? I wonder if this practice will catch on, and if it does, if it will catch on here in North America?

I have read that metal mouthpieces are not for beginners - which I am being a clarinettist.

I wouldn't consider you a beginner. You have an embouchure already, just not a saxophone one. I don't see a Link being a problem for you.

I am determined to stay with synthetic reeds and they only seem to come into their own with certain mouthpieces. I get the impression that they like a mouthpiece with a wider gap between the edge and the reed.

I also use Legere Signature Series reeds. I have for a number of years now. For tenor I use them on my metal Dukoff m/p, and on alto I use them on my plastic Runyon Custom m/p (my main piece), or my various vintage hard rubber pieces. I can honestly say that don't notice an appreciable difference in the way the Legere responds on a metal versus a hard rubber or plastic piece. I have not necessarily found them to be better responding on certain mouthpieces than others.

However, having the correct reed strength for the tip opening (the "gap between the edge and the reed") makes all the difference. On tenors I only play a 2 1/4 on a Dukoff 7, while on my alto Runyon Custom 8, I use a 2 3/4. I have some really nice vintage hard rubber alto pieces, but for those I play a 3 or even a 3 1/4 or 3 1/2.

Let us know how you make out on the Link. If you like the sound, and like the way the horn responds with the m/p, then it's likely a good choice for you.

Oh, maybe I missed it, but what strength reed are you using on alto?

Helen, what a nice response, thanks for all the information.

I am playing a number 2 legere signature and find this pretty comfortable.

It was actually quite embarrassing because the guy came after me and said that he would remove the 'post & packing' price but I was still fuming and told him where to put it! Then as I drove off I realised that I had left my specs behind so had to go back to pick them up:-(
Then, of course, I ordered them from him on the web so I still had to pay p&p but at least they have had to P&P it.

Alls well 'cos I don't stay annoyed for long so back to my normal wonderful self ;-)

Back
Top Bottom