An Alto Clarinet Christmas

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
1637594047186.png

Although I have no desire to ever play one I did hear a high school student play an alto clar remarkably well when I was judging "senior band auditions" in my part of the state.
Her chromatic scale was spot-on; low E through high E (above the staff) with a high (nice) sound.
I commented to her that she sounded really good (I was not supposed to engage with the students but I had to comment) and she said that she loved playing it...
She was probably the best in the state (MA) at that time.

Yes, it-can-be-done!

Terry was a long time member (SOTSDO) who passed away a couple years ago. He was a sax & clarinet player with a particular aversion to alto clarinets, although he loved playing bass clarinet. If you check out the bass clarinet forum, there is a ton of good content there from him.

IIRC, SOSTSDO stood for Sounds of the South Dance Orchestra, which is a band he lead for many years. Us old timers miss his huge knowledge base as well as his dry wit. RIP, Terry.

Part of his aversion to alto clarinet was that the one he started playing on was an open hole horn and, IIRC, it was pitched in A or D. That'd definitely leave some psychological scars :D.

I do occasionally joke about alto clarinet, but if it's what you've got and it makes you want to play more, I'm all for it.

SOTSDO: Songs of the south dance orchestra
Terry is missed. Although the Alto Clarinet may seem like an un-needed horn,
the argument can be made for many other instruments.
Terry may have been just funn'n
Hope the dance orchestra has continued on..

Back
Top Bottom