Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

An Eflat Question

All,

I have managed to last my entire professional career not having to ever play an Eflat clarinet....joy, oh joy (I did at ome point double on contra alto in a Bob Florence ghost band).

My perfect record is about to come to a screeching halt as I have a show coming up demanding the double.

Any advice on mouthpiece? I'm assuming I cannot use one of my Bb clarinet mouthpieces?

Clark W. Fobes and Backun

Hello! I highly recommend a Clark W. Fobes Mouthpiece with a Fobes Extension. I play on a Selmer Deposé Eb clarinet model and the combo is fantastic! I also recommend getting a Backun barrel of your choice of wood; cocobolo, tulip wood, or grenadilla(I have cocobolo barrel and bell). As there is a cutback on the barrel that will allow you to use Bb clarinet reeds on the Eb clarinet without clipping them. I recommend looking for barrels and bells on eBay as they are cheaper than the website. Here is a link to the description of the Eb barrels. http://backunmusical.com/products/eb-barrels

Good luck,

Chris L.

Last edited:
Nope, doesn't take a Bb mouthpiece, it has its own smaller one.
While talking about my own mpc isn't of much help, (it's an Old logo Selmer, which is probably rather hard to find) a Vandoren B40 played well from me trying it once.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your comments:

I'm totally in on a backun barrel (I use one on my Bb clarinet; a Leblanc Opus)...I'm going to try out some mouthpieces from David McClune.

Highly recommended by a doubler I'm playing a show with right now.

To close the loop: I did end up with a McClune mouthpiece. David sent me three to try; one was stuffy, the other two played fine, gave the clarinet a "clarinet" sound, with a sweet tone and very controllable response. It's paired to a Leblanc LL Eb from 1967 which plays quite well in tune up the high Eb.

I haved to build up cork around the tenon to fit the Backun barrel...as the horn is a couple of cents above pitch, I'm going from the stock 40.25 MM barrel to a 41.75 mm barrel.

I played a lot of Eb in the 70s & 80s. I used my Buffet mouthpiece that came with the clarinet when I bought it new. Worked great.

This thread always creates a niggling feeling that the OP didn't realize there are many sizes of Eb clarinets. Probably not true but there you have it. BTW, my wife plays the Effer, an Eb soprano clarinet. I play an Eb alto clarinet. I'm guessing that maybe it was an alto clarinet that the mouthpiece was needed for?

Back
Top Bottom