Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Another F Mezzo

I think Gandalfe's horn was nicer, but this one's pretty nice. Needs a couple new felts and it's a shame that the original mouthpiece was cut up.

Given how many there are for sale, I really have to wonder if Aquila Sax is going to be successful with its F alto (?) mezzo-soprano (?) that they have in the R&D phase at the moment. I know I got drawn into a bit of heated comment exchange with someone on my blog about this concept horn, but I'm still not seeing the market for these. What am I missing?

It's not that there are so many of the Conn Mezzos still in existence. The problem is that the main appeal is to collectors, not players. There just aren't that many collectors, and most of them probably don't want to collect new horns.

FWIW, regarding a "new" F instrument, I wouldn't want an Eb alto that was reworked into an alto that happens to be in F, I'd want one that has the same sonic quality of a Conn-O-Sax. That'd be a bit more difficult.

The C tenors are a bit different. For my money, I'd rather buy a vintage horn and get it repaired/reconditioned, rather than one of the new horns. Again, it's all about the sound quality. However, I'd still like to get my hands on one of the Eppelsheim-designed C sopranos. Just to try it. If someone comes out with a truly curved C soprano, I'd be more interested.

Sorry; I confused myself with the F Mezzos he had.

In related news, I shouldn't post until AFTER the fever goes down ....

Don't get me wrong. Quinn has a very nice Conn-O-Sax, ready to go. Whether there are two left, or 200 left, it's the only one in great shape available right now, 'cause I won't sell mine until I stop having fun with it. I play mine about 3 times a year, so it's not going to get beat to death real soon, and mine has the original end plug, mouthpiece, cap, ligature, case, and it plays great. sorry, the case handle has been replaced by a new version of the original handle.

I do think that the one change in the ad is that it's no longer at a set price. He does have a reserve on it, tho.

$6212, ATM. $1200 in under 24 hours. It'll be interesting to see how high it goes.

(Post is no longer necessary. I added a list of all the F Mezzos in this thread to the first post.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom