Any guesses what the heck this is

This is a strange add, yes zero feedback seller so what do you expect. Is china really making copies with the brand name logo on it?

So what is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Yanagis...Outfit-Copy-Pro-Horn-a-Student-/112167247118?

Why of course they make knock-offs of brand name horns with the logo on it. These are called counterfeit, and they are illegal.

Selmer Paris has had this problem for years, and they went to so far as to address the issue on their FB page--and also on their website.

A number of months ago I started writing an expanded article for my website that was massively illustrated, about how to spot a Selmer knock-off. It got so huge, and so complicated, that I put it aside for a bit. This post has jiggled that old memory. I really should get that finished.

So to sum up: I am not a follower of Yani horns--that's Pete's job ;) --but I am not surprised. Anytime you have a high-end item that people pay lots of money for, some slimy company will slither out of the cesspool; try to make money off the good company's name; exploit its workers; and flood the market with cheap knock-offs. In the days before the Internet it was much easier for the police to deal with crimes like this.

Let's take it a step further: If a person buys one of these cheap "Selmer" or "Yanagisawa" saxophones, and they find out its a knock-off, what prevents that person from re-selling it as the real thing to another unsuspecting buyer?

A woman who buys a knock-off Prada purse for $400 or $800 instead of $4000, expects to use that purse for only a relatively short time. Saxophones on the other hand, have a much longer lifespan. The chances are much greater that they will be passed on to another person--who might not know it's a knock-off--than the Prada purse.

Yup. There's no such thing as a Yani or Selmer "licensed copy," which is the phrase that they seem to be using these days.

Not to confuse you too much, but there is such a thing as a STENCIL, which is where company A makes a horn for company B and company B takes a stencil (or stamp) and engraves their own name on a horn. However, the only current Yani stencil I've heard of is the Vito VSP baritone, which is a stencil of the Yani B901. There are no Selmer stencils. Further, there are some good copies of the Selmer designs, which you can argue successfully that the Yanagisawa and Yamaha horns are, but those folks don't claim to be selling copies, nor do they stamp "Selmer" on their bells.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

There's a scam website called https://www.aliexpress.com that features a lot of these "licensed copies" and add to that that they duplicate some eBay ads. They don't even bother to hide it much. Here's a QuinnTheEskimo horn that's obviously not for sale by Quinn, for instance. Remember to buy a Mark VI alto for $312, while you're at it (I'm fairly sure the pics are from GetASax.com).

Remember to buy a Mark VI alto for $312, while you're at it (I'm fairly sure the pics are from GetASax.com).

Thanks for that. I ordered me one of them as soon as I saw that. ;) A person can't have enough Mark VI saxes... Even if they are fake. :emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile:

Oh, and for those who don't know me: This above, was a joke. I would never order a sax online from someone I don't know: and certainly not a counterfeit.... Just saying...

I do wonder what you actually get, if anything, from these folks. A Bundy with "Mark 6" spray painted onto the bell? A picture of a Mark VI?

I do wonder what you actually get, if anything, from these folks. A Bundy with "Mark 6" spray painted onto the bell? A picture of a Mark VI?

With this one you don't even get that.

Notice the pixilation of the logo and how it's placed towards the back of the bell? It's put on the flattest portion of the surface relative to the angle of the image.

Why would an etcher or engraver put it there? Well, they wouldn't. I figure this is where a photoshopper would put it for ease of image manipulation. It certainly looks chopped

Back
Top Bottom