Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Any info on a Normandy with 4 digit SN 29**?

We just purchased a Normandy clarinet for our daughter who is entering her 4th year in band. Her current clarinet is in the shop, and we thought a back up would be nice to have (and we hate renting...). I am curious by nature so have been trying to gather more info on the Normandy we purchased. It's in good condition, but I am guessing it to be much older model. There are no numbers by the crest, only 'Normandy' & 'France'. The serial number is low, 29**....
Any help in figuring out which model this would be?

thank you!
Carolyn

Attachments

• Normandy bell.jpg
    Normandy bell.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 364
  • Normandy body 2.jpg
    Normandy body 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 340
  • Normandy body.jpg
    Normandy body.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 354
This should be at least a decent horn, I liked the one of these I've gotten to have for a bit, even if I had bought it to flip.
The one I flipped was a model 10, played pretty similarly to my Noblet.

looks like a regular Normandy.

My first clarinet I bought back in 1978 was a Normandy 4 from a great guy Herb Couf. I still have it to this day.

The major difference between the Normandy line and the Noblet line were the diameter of the toneholes. The normandy being a "student" model were smaller for smaller younger fingers to fit. Thus the ease of playing these versus the Noblets. Tonehole diameter really became noticeable to me way back when I bought a Selmer Center Tone as my 3rd finger Right Hand I could put my finger into the tonehole. And when I bought my first R13 as the finger spread caused me to not cover the toneholes completely (have have small fingers/ hands).

But back to the Normandy.
If your serial number is 29xx then it would have to have been made in the late 1940s, after WWII.
The "FRANCE" stamp I think was a 1950's and before, so it fits in the thing.

They are quite common student clarinets. Well built and last a long time.

TrueTone, we had her try it before we bought it and it sounded nice. She thinks it sounds better than her current clarinet, a Selmer Prelude.
Steve, thank you so much for that thoughtful reply. I figure if she survives this 4th year of bamd we will look into a real upgrade.
This Normandy definitely looks to be pretty well made, I was surprised with as low as the serial # is that the corks all looked decent. It could use a cleaning for sure though.
Thank you again!

And when I bought my first R13 as the finger spread caused me to not cover the toneholes completely (have have small fingers/ hands).
Confirmed: Steve = Trump

/me: Runs from thread

Back
Top Bottom