Anybody want a nice Stowasser Taragato?

kymarto

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I found what looks like a very nice genuine one on a Romanian site and wrote the seller. He wrote me back and wants 3000 euros for it, and that is very reasonable if it is in good shape, which it appears to be. I would love to buy it, but that's too much for me. If anyone is interested you can write him. Here is the message, with a link to pictures:

"Hello Toby,
The tárogatós are verry expansive nowaday is Romania. They are verry rare and usualy even if you find an instrument it's in a bad condition,after so many years of playing on them. The one a i have it's 3000 Euros. If you need more information, about it or about anything of tárogató contact me.
Best wishes, Cristian"

His direct email, and the link to the ad with pix

"totpatic" <totpatic@yahoo.com>

http://clujnapoca.olx.ro/vand-taragot-stowasser-iid-93015750

Last edited by a moderator:
That's kewl and rare. Cross-posting in the "For Sale" area. Wonder how old it is. Pre-WWII, at least.

That's kewl and rare. Cross-posting in the "For Sale" area. Wonder how old it is. Pre-WWII, at least.

Can't be after 1917, when the factory burned down. He says that it is in overall good shape, except for a crack in the bell (common). Needs an overhaul, comes with original case and all. I'm probably going to look for something a bit more reasonable for my first decent instrument, but no more post-WWII Romanian junk.

Just saw a Sternberg for sale $1400 in a store in Oakland, but he told me that it's been sold :( Still, that means that decent Hungarian horns are out there, and will show up eventually.

Hey hey kymarto. Romanian instruments can be great in my opinion if someone it willing to take that sort of plunge. As long as you have close up pictures and or are buying from someone who knows their stuff, you can get a great deal. My tárogató is Romanian and I don't mind it one bit, I like the sound.
Yes, a lot of Romanian instruments are absolute junk but I assure in the hands of a patient, talented musician/technician, just as many can be gems. Just depends on who was at the factory that day. I notice the unmarked "Romanian" instruments can be the best ones, sometimes they're also personally tailored to someone (like the metal inlay on the pinky hole RH versus a key, and stuff like that).

If one can't afford a Stowasser, it is an OK thing to do to buy Romanian if the sales person knows their stuff, or/and shows very good close up pictures, and the instrument appears to be in "workable" or "restorable" condition.

But any conditions other than that I'd not risk it. It is a but of a plunge to take and an easy one to drown in.

Back
Top Bottom