Anyone else get a Susato key retrofit on a tenor recorder?

Hello! Board/wind newbie here. :)

I've got a Yamaha tenor recorder that I like a lot and that sounds nice, but it IS a bit of a stretch. It's hard for me to judge though, since I don't know how much of the issue is due to the stretch and how much is due to my being unfamiliar with playing ANY wind instrument. I think I could get used to it, but I'm curious about a retrofit that I've learned about by a company called Susato at www.susato.com. They can apparently fit two keys to two problematic holes on a Yamaha (or Aulos) tenor that make it more playable.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this done and what their experience of its has been. Is this a good idea, or do I risk ruining a perfectly nice, pretty-sounding tenor recorder?

Hi there FireandAir,

I have the same question you did a couple of years ago! Except, I can't reach the darn holes at all, so will definitely need keys or something. Did you ever have the Susato installed? If so, what's your experience?

Hi there FireandAir,

I have the same question you did a couple of years ago! Except, I can't reach the darn holes at all, so will definitely need keys or something. Did you ever have the Susato installed? If so, what's your experience?

I don't have small hands, but I came into ownership of a Yamaha tenor that is nicked (probably by Lazar's) and has 2 susato keys installed. My opinions are mixed, but that may be because I am not so in love with the tenor at the moment. It certainly relieved right hand first finger stretch, although the G key (left hand third finger) seemed superfluous. There is a bit of additional noise. Extra time spent practicing with the keys might mitigate that, as I likely slap it down harder than necessary. I can post pics later if you'd like, or answer more specific questions.

Also I have a Dolmetsch Nova nick tenor, which is actually too cramped for my right hand (the C/C# keys), although I enjoy how different it is in tone compared to the yamaha.

Back
Top Bottom