Anyone else play a Wells as their principal 'piece?

Hey all :

Just out of curiosity, I am wondering if any other members play a Wells mouthpiece as their principal mouthpiece. I have grown quite fond of an unmarked Wells mouthpiece with the keyhole shaped window. This mouthpiece was a major symphony orchestra player's before I purchased it last year.

It needs some attention, and as such, I have sent it off to Dave Spiegelthal. The table is quite worn from the previous player sliding his reed on and off for 35 years every day. Additionally it has developed two very small nicks on the tip.

Now that I am gigging without it, and going through my drawer and trying to make a few old Bays, Van Doren's and a Morgan work as well as the Wells did for me, I have come to the conclusion that I would like to have another of these 'pieces as a back up (as I do with all my principal 'pieces on my major horns...) Anybody share my fondness for these old Wells mouthpieces? Or better yet....any one NOT share my fondness, have one, and want to unload it? :emoji_relaxed:

I alternate between a Stowell Wells Schneider B3 facing, and a Vandoren B46 mouthpiece on my 1972 Leblanc LL Bb clarinet. I play Alexander Superial Classique #3, and Rico Reserve #3 reeds on both mouthpieces.

I play a Wells on clarinet. I bought it from Frank in the early 1970s and 20 years later when I started to play a lot of clarinet again, I found that the facing was too close.

I sent it to Erik Greiffenhagen of the Mouthpiece Guys. He put a Ralph Morgan RM 28 facing on it. Now I play it all the time for everything.

I also have a Wells tenor mouthpiece with a .130 facing on it. When the going gets loud, out comes the Wells.

I also have a Meyer New York USA alto mouthpiece (5 medium chamber, medium length) on which Frank cleaned up the facing and squared off the top of the chamber (Typical Frank Wells modification). It's still about a 5, which is too small for me, so I may sell it someday.

Update:

I have received the Wells back from Dave Spiegelthal and it is playing even better than before! Not quite as reed finicky. It looks real pretty too!

I just picked up a Stowell Wells and Schneider piece on Ebay that I like even more! Big, lively, open ringing sound that I can also control and play softly as well.

Whre have these pieces been all my life?

Frank Wells Mouthpieces

Hi there,

I've read the threads for a few years, but just joined.

I lived in Detroit at the time and went to Frank Well in Chicago and had and brought a Meyer 5 with me and sat in his place for at least 5 hours while he whittled away on it. I still have it and plan on pulling it out this coming week to test a friends alto. Still the best playing mouthpiece I've ever owned. I'm thinking of having buried with me when I die, its that good.

Ted

Welcome aboard.

Great story. I have talked to a lot of local players who had pieces worked on by Wells. They always have interesting stories about him.

Back
Top Bottom