Anyone heard of a brand called Jean Paul?

I'm new to the clarinet, and wanted to know if there were any unbiased reviews on this brand. The only reviews I have seen were on their website, so I'm not sure how trustworthy they are. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?

Chinese. They sell a student, a "step-up," and an intermediate model.

Google shows about equal parts good and bad reviews of the horn, itself. Most people give props for their customer service, though. Their horns are very close to the cost of a used Yamaha YCL-34 and Yamaha 2x / 2xx series clarinets (e.g. 23 and 275) are much cheaper. I'd go with Yamaha.

That's not actually a review, of course, but more of a logical way of looking at it. I doubt that it's terrible, based on the fact that they have a warranty and a 30 day return policy -- minus a restocking fee.

I was browsing Amazon today and came across this "American Company" with 600 plus reviews, nearly all positive, so I decided to see what it was
all about.

I only read a few of the 600 plus reviews, but early on noted 2 that stated- paraphrasing: "My parents couldn't afford a sax so I played clarinet, now I can play a sax, it has the same fingerings" & "It was missing some of the accessories, but luckily sax necks are interchangeable"

Who is Jean Paul? Where is the OP? (one month later):rolleyes:

I don't necessarily worry about people that are gone for a month or whatever. I, myself, post mainly on the weekends and/or on days off, and I'm one of the founders of this forum :D. Is it possible that we'll get people that openly shill a particular brand? Yup. I only care if it leads to a conversation that goes nowhere.

Also, as I noted, this is mainly a "student" brand. I'd expect at least one review in the form of what you mentioned, BSG. I've posted stupid things, too. Also, ATM, I'm posting while under the influence of two different (prescription) pain killers, so you can expect my posts to be wonky every now and then :D.

I've seen a bunch of videos on Michael Lowenstern's (IIRC, recommended by Gandalfe. Thanks, Jim!) YouTube channel and he has a video on extra cheap clarinets. As I haven't played clarinet in over 10 years, I try to listen to the advice of people that know. If a Grammy-winning former professor with a PhD says a clarinet is bad, I'm going to listen to him.

Back
Top Bottom