April Fool goodies

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
Saw this post on the Clarinet BBoard. :)

Yamaha announced today that it was recalling all of its clarinets, and particularly those in the "Cobalt" line, marketed to schools in the American Red States, to correct a dangerous defect in the attachment of the thumb rest.

The thumb rests normally work fine, said Lirpa Loof, a Yamaha spokeswoman. However, if a player hangs a decoration on it, or uses a heavy rubber pad, the thumb rest can fall off at unpredictable moments. This has happened on several important solos and at least twice at parades where the band marched directly in front of the elephants, which flattened the clarinets to a thickness of less than 1". Unfortunately, one player tried to rescue a clarinet but misjudged the distance and was also flattened. Yamaha settled the claim for an undisclosed sum said to be well into seven figures.

In other news, it is thought that no clarinets were lost in the disappearance of Indonesia Flight 370. Pira Flool, the Secretary for Clarinet Disasters of the International Clarinet Association, said "We have combed the passenger list and our records, but we can find nothing to show that any clarinetists or clarinets were aboard Flight 370. While we of course mourn for the victims, we take some satisfaction in the continued safety of our members, in spite of this disaster."

Ken Shaw

I don't know about you, but I feel more than just a little bit uncomfortable about using a tragedy such as the loss of 13 lives from car accidents possibly caused by a faulty switch or the loss of hundreds of lives in an aircraft accident as the basis of a joke. I'm sure it is not funny to those that have lost loved ones in these two unfortunate situations.

Hmm, repeating what was said on the Clarinet BB? It's funny, Jon Stewart can do it with little or no fall out, but less a mortal try to do the same thing... Yes the ongoing mystery of the missing plane is a tragedy but I suspect that Ken meant no disrespect to the many families and friends of the victims of that incident. Still, point taken.

I've had problems with them in the past over some pretty innocous things. The worst was when I used the terms "girl singer" and "boy singer" in a posting about vocalists. The posting was pulled and I got a snotty letter about how we didn't use such terms as they were sexist. I imagine that the Dorsey boys and Goodman would have skated free for doing the same.

I gave up on the place thereafter...

Back
Top Bottom