Attention Fibracell Users

saxhound

Staff member
CE/Moderator
I'm always looking for a deal on these. Right now, Weiner Music (http://shop.weinermusic.com/) is taking $2.00 or more off the price per reed if you buy 4 or more. They also have free shipping through Monday (1/4/09) if you use the promo code BLUEMOON.

Not affiliated in any way, but for those who use them, this is about the lowest price I have seen.

BTW, I meant to say thanks for the link for this. I haven't seen anyone still selling the older-style unnumbered reeds for a long time. I really don't like their Premium numbered reeds, and really miss the regular numbered variety. Do you know saxhound, if they stopped manufacturing them when they switched to the Premium variety? I assume they did since I haven't seen the regular ones since.

In any event, thank you for the link to a dependable store that supplies my favorite reed at amazing prices. I had given up trying to find a place where I can get them without having to sell a kidney! ;-) (Here in Canada they're crazy expensive.)

I actually had the opposite experience. I find the numbered (Premier) Fibracells to be much more consistent in strength. I didn't realize they had discontinued the old 5 strength line, but it looks like they aren't selling them any longer on the direct site:

http://www.fibracelldirect.com/

If you like the old ones, you are probably stuck with buying up existing stock. Here's another place I have purchased from, and they still have the standard ones listed:

http://www.saxplus.com/fibracell-reeds.html

1stop Clarinet and Sax Shop still has them listed as well, although I am reluctant to do business with them. If you want to know why, you can search on SOTW about their legal troubles (if the search engine is working!)

My favorite vendor was Ed (personal delivery service via bicycle), but he decided to get out of the business.

I've had both the lettered-strength Fibracells and the numbered-strength Fibracells (mostly SOFT, MED-SOFT, and 1 1/2 and 2's) for clarinet. Frankly, I found little difference among them.

The ones I just ordered from Weiners (four SOFT for clarinet) arrived in last week's mail. They were all labeled SOFT. I haven't tried them yet because the Fibracells on my clarinets have continued to play well for months.

For saxophone though, I only have a limited application (a Fibracell 1 1/2 on a Selmer Scroll-shank C* soprano) and it is not my favorite set-up (but it will work).

I was sorry when Ed quit selling them. But Weiners worked fine. DAVE

You're just a wealth of info saxhound. Thanks! I'll order some from saxplus.

Yes, I too miss ordering from Ed... Although he didn't deliver mine by bike. What's up with that? :emoji_smile: I guess 3,000 miles over icy roads was a bit too much for him. :-D

Before Ed got into selling Fibracells, I used to order mine from Charlie A. I miss him. I used to order all my reeds, Gig Dust & Crud Patches, & my Runyon mouthpieces through him. He was such a nice guy. I also tested the one of the prototypes of the BBQ tenor mouthpiece, and then bought one when they became available.

I recently ordered a couple of Fiberreeds from Harry Hartmann. I love the alto one, but I need to email him about the tenor, I think it might be defective. I just haven't gotten around to it because of a death in the family that happened on the day the reeds arrived. That put everything on the back burner, so I just started playing around on the reeds last week.

The Fiberreeds are quite a different animal to the Fibracell, but I really like the alto reed. If his tenor reeds are the same (no reason they wouldn't be) I will be happy to have a 2nd type of synthetic reed in my arsenal. I ordered the carbon one because of the style of music I play.

I found Harry a great guy to deal with. It's too bad that his reeds are not available at all in Canada, and only through a couple of sources in the US, and they all appear connected to WWBW--which I will not support, because I'm one of the people who has had more than 1 bad experience with them.

Ed lives just a few miles from me, and is an avid cyclist. I offered to pick them up, but he was going for a ride, and dropped them off.

I used to order from Charley as well. What a gentleman, and a very nice guy to talk to. I had a BBQ 12 for a while (bought it used), but it was just a little too open for me.

I bought a couple of the Carbon Toptone reeds last spring. I liked them, but the tenor one started getting little chips in the tip after a week or two. The bari one is holding up better, but it hasn't been played as much. For over twice the price of the Fibracells, they didn't seem worth it. I've been thinking about trying the Hahn reeds.

I still have some fibracells on hand from stock I never sold. Send me a PM with your requests and if I have it we come up with a very fair price. :D

My bad. I realize I've hijacked this thread a bit with all this talk about Harry Hartmann's Fiberreeds. I'll break off/copy the offending posts tomorrow and start a separate thread on it when I've got some time.

As advertised, I have copied/moved the posts to their own thread.

Last edited:
I don't know if you got my PM Ed, but I sent you one. I realized that I forgot to mention that I could use some others as well. Let me know you got my PM. Send me an email, and we could talk about what you've got left in stock. Perhaps you still have something that I could use.

Thanks muchly...hk

I've replied to everyone.

Had to dig the reeds out of a box. My wife made me move a bunch of stuff into my den . . . :emoji_smile:

An unfortunate situation has come up with Fibracell reeds. Recently I got two 2 1/2 tenor reeds that were unplayable. I've used their reeds almost exclusively for more than 10 years and found them consistent and they had the tone I was looking for. When I contacted the company and offered to send them back, then denied that there could be any problem and instead said I didn't know how to place a reed on the mouthpiece and other such nonsense.

Doesn't matter how much anyone discounts them. I'm no longer a buyer of anyone's products who won't stand behind what they sell and insults clients who have otherwise been loyal (thousands of $$ worth!). I'd suggest that others consider other options as well. There have been a number of recent reports of similar problems, so it seems that a large batch of duds are out there and Fibracell doesn't care. The duds have come from multiple retailers and it's possible that only older stock will be OK. Very sorry if you (like me) have been primarily using their reeds as it really puts us back to having to search for a replacement. The most similar I've found so far are Hartmann reeds. Best wishes and luck to all of you.

Back
Top Bottom