Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Baritone Saxophone Stands

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
So I have three Bari stands at the moment. My first Bari stand was the Konig and Meyer Baritone Sax Stand which I picked up locally. It's o.k. but takes up a lot of space and doesn't feel sturdy enough for me. I then moved on a bought a Hercules stand which is even cheaper than the K&M but folds up more compactly than the K&M. It also feels a lot more sturdy. I liked it so much that I picked up a second one.

My complaints about the Hercules stand are that 1) my first stand had a defect with the movable lower support in that the spring broke and it now just drops to the lowest position. 2) The yellow logo on the stand is rather obvious and doesn't really fit in with the conservative look I would like from a stand. 3) I find height adjustment to be a pain as it takes a bit more time to adjust to the correct height.

It's still better than anything else I've used. I remain tempted by the saxrax.

I have a couple of Hercules and SaxRax stands for my baritones. I liked Hercules the best until I purchased the SaxRax. The SaxRax is the only stand I'll use for my Eppelsheim bass sax but I also have one for the Buescher bass sax.

saxraxlo.gif

The bari stands now have an additional support near the bow . . . right?

What interests me about them is that I could mix and match hooking them together for Bari, Alto, Tenor, and Soprano or any combination. Sometimes I supply the stands for my section mates as I hate to see expensive horns sitting on a chair. I suppose I have an irrational fear of them getting damaged.

Ed Svoboda said:
The bari stands now have an additional support near the bow . . . right?
Correct.

Ed Svoboda said:
What interests me about them is that I could mix and match hooking them together for Bari, Alto, Tenor, and Soprano or any combination. Sometimes I supply the stands for my section mates as I hate to see expensive horns sitting on a chair. I suppose I have an irrational fear of them getting damaged.
I have an alto, tenor stand with pegs for sop and clarinet and an extra support leg. I should take a picture of it some time. Otherwise I use one stand per bass and bari sax.

Here's a pic:
saxraxflutesm.gif

I had a really, really nice tubular steel bari stand. Alas, the ex-wife "misplaced" it about 10 years ago ....

I too am tempted by the Saxrax, and have been ever since Paul emailed me about them when he got his company set up.

But alas, temptation is as far as it's gone. I've stuck with the B&S that I've had for years.

I think the Saxrax adjustable bass sax stand is probably the best off-the-retail-shelf stand right now but I have several minor complaints about mine:

1. The "footprint" is much larger than other stands. That adds to the stability of the stand, but it's a problem on a tight bandstand.

2. The "horns" are much higher than necessary, making quick instrument changes difficult. I shortened the horns on the top horseshoe of mine by almost four inches. It's just as secure and easier to use.

3. The tightening mechanism on the adjustable model is the weak link on the stand. Mine is only 2-3 years old and the top has begun to slip. I reinforced it with a small hose clamp, making it basically non-adjustable.

4. The price is high. I got mine free with the Eppelsheim, so I can't complain.

I have a simple design in mind for building a stand. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

As some may recall, I've been using a custom welded up baritone stand that sits on a "H bar" base made of 2 x 4 inch oak crossmembers. It holds the baritone, a bass clarinet, up to four clarinet/flute/soprano pegs, and either an alto/tenor stand or a bassoon stand.

My baritone stand has always been optimized for seated play, and is particularly easy to handle the horn onto and off of the stand. (The tubular ones are often set a bit too high to do this in comfort.) While propped at the bell, the weight of the horn rests on the bottom of the bow - much less risk of damage to the bell this way.

If anyone is interested, I have a MS Word file on how to produce one, along with step by step photographs of the assembly process. Email me and I'll send it out to you.

Terry, How about posting your various plans someplace around here? It would be nice to have them in 1 central location.

Terry,

If you want I can post them as an article at the main page with appropriate links.

Let me know.

SOTSDO, Can you post or send the Bari stand plans? I just now found this forum. Thanks.
Sng4Prt

Unfortunately, Terry is no longer with us - he passed away a few months ago. I don't know if he ever passed the plans along. Perhaps Pete or Ed will know.

Unfortunately, Terry is no longer with us - he passed away a few months ago. I don't know if he ever passed the plans along. Perhaps Pete or Ed will know.

I asked him for them some years back. He had been looking for them, but never did find them.

Back
Top Bottom