Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Bass Clarinet Gig Bag quandary

Good day fellows! Have a look at this bass clarinet gig bag, it's very handy and compact. It was sold a couple of decades ago at a music fair in Rotterdam under the auspices of the Stomvi company in Spain. The bag is made of leather printed black vinyl and had two compartments which held the bottom joint plus bell and top joint plus neck, respectively. There was a leather tag on it that just said "Bags", no other brand name. I contacted the Stomvi factory but they're none the wiser on this item which leads me to believe that they'd been manufactured by another company and just sold on the side at the fair. Does anyone know where and by whom these bags might have been made?

Attachments

• Bass Clari Gig Bag.jpg
    Bass Clari Gig Bag.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 283
Good day fellows! Have a look at this bass clarinet gig bag, it's very handy and compact. It was sold a couple of decades ago at a music fair in Rotterdam under the auspices of the Stomvi company in Spain. The bag is made of leather printed black vinyl and had two compartments which held the bottom joint plus bell and top joint plus neck, respectively. There was a leather tag on it that just said "Bags", no other brand name. I contacted the Stomvi factory but they're none the wiser on this item which leads me to believe that they'd been manufactured by another company and just sold on the side at the fair. Does anyone know where and by whom these bags might have been made?

About 10 years ago I bought a Selmer light bass clarinet case, which was made by Bam. I almost passed on it because many of the Selmer/Bam cases are inferior to the same case with only the Bam name on it. Also, it cost about $400 discounted.

I went for it anyway because I was playing a lot of bass clarinet, usually along with bari sax and other instruments. I still had the original 1950s wooden Selmer case, which was incredibly strong, but it was also extremely heavy and it had no shoulder strap.

Anyhow, the Selmer light case turned out to be a winner. It is a bit smaller than the Bam bass clarinet case, offers good protection, and it is almost as light as a gig bag. Carrying it on my shoulder is no problem at all. Problem is, I don't see it for sale now in the usual places. Lots of people are better at searching the internet than I am, and If you can find a Selmer light bass clarinet case, I recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom