Bass Clarinet Neck (Ergonomic) Dimensions

tictactux

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
This is a Spin-off of the "picking up a bass clarinet" thread (discussion about Bay necks)

While many bass clarinets look the same or rather similar, there are subtle differences in their dimensions, some of which have a direct impact on the ease of playing; as the instrument has dimensions that not all players handle equally well. Maybe I should add the standing height (bell bow to mouthpiece tip with vertical body)?

Anyhow, here's the Measure Your Bass Neck thread. The attached picture shows the schema of a generic bass clarinet neck, with dimension naming conventions.
Measure your instrument and post the values here. (Moderators - if there is a better place for this, feel free to move it)

So I'll start:

Old Bundy (aka Selmer 1430) with a tenor-style neck:
A=20°; D=26mm; E=660mm; G=630mm; H=10mm; L=170mm

Jupiter 675:
A=30°; D=26mm; E=675mm; G=640mm; H=5mm; L=165mm

Darn. I was really enjoying the twists and turns of the previous thread! I'll continue to follow along with interest, despite having no skin (or wood) in the game yet.

This particular episode of GAS has subsided for the moment. In order for it to recur, I'll probably need to sell a horn first. Anyone want to make me a crazy offer on a pristine Mark VI alto?

Where are those Chinese characters on the keyboard? $1.50 plus $6500.00 shipping.

This is for a Buffet 1193 (the current model, not the two previous models 1193 which had a different neck). Some of the measurements are approximates because e.g. not sure where on the touchpiece to measure, etc.

A 50°
D 26.1mm
E 65.5cm
G 62cm
H -5mm :)
L 18.2cm

I might be able to check a Selmer Privilege with the curvier neck tomorrow.

So any updates??

I have
Twin Vito double barrels(68'/82')
Twin Bundy single barrels (1--3dgt serial...1--4 dgt serial)
(2) bells
Vito w/peg
And a No Name w/out peg and A Good Bit Bigger overall

(3) necks
No Clue on the brands
Will take pics and measurements tonight.

Am Also Really Needing info like this
How about Angle of the Mouthpiece to horizontal??

That's what I'm delving into now

Back
Top Bottom