Bass modifications

...can't you just take a small coffin? Just think of the looks when you bring it with you next rehearsal. :cool:

Seriously - find a shipping company or some warehouse nearby, they often have wooden shipping boxes from far east deliveries. Very sturdy, reasonably light.

FWIW your Bass looks like my Bari's Big Brother.

Moving up (back) to Seattle this week. I grew up there, in the North End. Still have family in the area.
Welcome back. I enticed four family members to move to the Northwest. After traveling throughout the US I found Seattle to be Suzy and my dream country. Do you play sax and if so at what level?

Gorgeous pics on your fledgling Web site. I'd use the left-hand pinky key cluster as your WF avatar:

Hi, MartinMods!

I took a peek at your website, just to see if you had any Martin Magna G# cluster ("LH Table") conversion photos. THAT would be a selling point (for those of y'all who haven't played one, the low Bb is ... rather unergonomic).

You also might want to take a peek at your HTML: the drop-downs don't work in Firefox 3.6 or Opera 10 and they're broken for all browsers when you jump to the linked page.

The fun part about being the technical contact on this forum is that I have to try to make sure that this thing works for all browsers ....

============

On topic: it looks like you'd definitely be able to do some mods to that bass! Again, I want in-progress pics!

Thanks Pete.

It's a work in progress. I'll check out the browsers you recommended.

The LH Table Keys on my avatar are on a Magna Alto. That is the original LH hinged version. I'll have finished picts of the Contemporary (Selmer-Style) Version in a couple weeks.

I just now realized the implications of Lance's move to Seattle. I'm so hooped! I...must...not...be...led...to...temptation.... :emoji_smile: I have way too many vintage horns with primitive keywork. If I try his work once, I'll probably be led astray. ;-)

Welcome aboard Lance. Nice to see you here. Best wishes on your move. I did the West to East & return thing too. I feel for you. I find moving stressful, and exhausting. May it be uneventful for you... With a move of this distance, that's perhaps the best outcome one can hope for.

Welcome back. I enticed four family members to move to the Northwest. After traveling throughout the US I found Seattle to be Suzy and my dream country. Do you play sax and if so at what level?

Gorgeous pics on your fledgling Web site. I'd use the left-hand pinky key cluster as your WF avatar:

I just had that left hand pinky table done on my 1921 Conn Bass.......:emoji_relaxed::emoji_relaxed::emoji_relaxed::emoji_relaxed::emoji_relaxed:

excellent improvement.....new wonder II like

If my low F Martin bari is completed around the same time as the bass, you guys might be able to try it too :)

So Lance has decided that it will be easier to make the bell and bow from scratch than to modify the existing bell and bow. I'm kind of excited because I'll end up with an umbrella holder or wall sculpture out of the originals.
As such, I've decided I want to go with a sand blasted finish with a dark honey gold lacquer.
http://www.kesslermusic.com/SelmerLeblanc/64/64sandblast.htm
Similar to that with the polished keys. I am a fan of two tone saxes and I think that instead of going silver body with gold keys, that this will be a much cooler finish. Certainly more cost effective, but much cooler. These finishes apparently glow under the right stage lighting, and I think it'll be sweet. He also said that this should actually cut down on manufacture time as well which is pretty sweet.
Bell should end up with a similar curve to the Eppelsheim contra, and instead of big bands for the gaps, he's going to braze them which should keep the engraving from getting choppy with the bands. I'm stoked

So Lance has decided that it will be easier to make the bell and bow from scratch than to modify the existing bell and bow. I'm kind of excited because I'll end up with an umbrella holder or wall sculpture out of the originals.
As such, I've decided I want to go with a sand blasted finish with a dark honey gold lacquer.
http://www.kesslermusic.com/SelmerLeblanc/64/64sandblast.htm
Similar to that with the polished keys. I am a fan of two tone saxes and I think that instead of going silver body with gold keys, that this will be a much cooler finish. Certainly more cost effective, but much cooler. These finishes apparently glow under the right stage lighting, and I think it'll be sweet. He also said that this should actually cut down on manufacture time as well which is pretty sweet.
Bell should end up with a similar curve to the Eppelsheim contra, and instead of big bands for the gaps, he's going to braze them which should keep the engraving from getting choppy with the bands. I'm stoked
The construction sounds nice. More braces would be a very good thing, based on my experience with a paperclip contrabass clarinet.

I'm not overly fond of the sandblast finish. Reminds me too much of the marching band Bundys/Bueschers from the 1970's. It might look nicer in person, tho.

I think I'm going to like it a lot, and if not, I can always get it refinished later...
Luckily I wasn't around in the 70's to remember said Buescher's. I'm going to make sure this thing is braced properly probably looking at 4 cross braces up the bell. Still deciding if I want a peg mount on it and if so if I put it straight down or at an angle. Will probably end up making a Hamilton-esque stand for it so I may not need a peg. Case is still going to be the hardest part about it. I just can't wait till it's done and I can play it...

A la photoshop from Lance. This is what it's expected to look like at least proportions wise.
One thing I'm toying with is to have him flip the neck upside down, if balance is an issue. Have to go play a vintage wrap bass to see if it's comfortable to hold like that. Probably won't happen because of how awkward it would be to lay like that, but we'll see

The major problem with the Hamilton (Three Caster) stands is that it DOES move. That means it can be pushed into a wall or off a stage. Additionally, if you have the kind that has a "clamp" part for the bell, it needs to be padded all around so the finish doesn't get scratched.

I was thinking old office chair meet Saxrax.... Put locking casters on it, or put a foot stomp clamp deally on the main rack. I've used them a lot for on stage sets. is just a lever with a rubber foot on it and it's used to keep wagons locked down on stage.

I'd have to build the upper part from scratch since the bell is massive, but we'll see. Only setback to this long bell is that it will have to be played at a pretty big angle to play while sitting. What I'll probably do is build the brackets to hold the horn first, then figure out if I can realistically hold it on a stand at that angle. If not I'll just play it on a strap and put it on the stand for safe keeping. Neck hook rings are going on the top and bottom so I can play it with a monster luggage strap instead of a neck strap

I'd imagine that the balance will be interesting. I wonder if you'll need a counterweight.

well I'm thinking that the balance would be a problem, but it'll probably be best to just build a normal stand and call it good. When I build the case I plan on sticking a compartment down the length of the case to hold the stand which will be rather convenient. Advantage of building your own I guess...

Helen has one that Paul Coats made. Only think I'm worried about with that is portability. I dunno, I've got to get the horn first though...
I'll keep a strap ring in the normal spot as well, but putting them on the body to bow area and one up higher on the horn will allow me to hold it for longer periods of time. One of the original discussions was whether or not I'd play it on a peg and wouldn't bother playing it with a strap since it will be so heavy. I'm not a fan of playing horns on pegs or in stands, so versatility and portability are two main concerns with this project.
Hence the custom contoured case that I can carry vs. having to wheel around, and extra strap rings, the portable stand etc.

Back
Top Bottom