Bass Saxophone Sightings on eBay

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
1) I think only the International Woodwind sells, but there's something fishy going on in that auction. See how the neck is airbrushed out? There is also no mention of the neck being missing in the description. As a buyer, at a glance, it sounds to me like the neck is lost and the seller plans on pleading ignorance, even though airbrushing the picture indicates he knows the implications of a missing neck. The seller has also established himself selling $1 items, which is an old ploy.

I don't touch that auction, even though getting a cheap Bass for maybe a grand and half and having a neck made could end up well, but there's just too much other skullduggary going on there for me.

2) The economy has been hard on Bueschers and on the big saxes, but even at the high water mark a few years ago there's no way a non-original lacquer Buescher Bass gets 11k. Nice silver plated ones were sold once in awhile for 10k, but not on Ebay, IIRC. I would value that Bass in an ebay auction at around 4k, but notice some legitimate bad feedback against the seller? that pushes it down for me, based on increased the risk: $3500 max. The seller in my estimations doesn't know a lot about horns given his bad feedback and his advertising this as an "all original"

3) The Windcraft is interesting, and looks really nice. However, I have heard nothing about these so it's certainly not worth a twelve-thousand dollar risk.

1. Buescher, s/n 188xxx. $11K. Just mentioning it to be complete.

2. Looks like an International Woodwinds, to me. $610. Ships from China, tho ....

3. Windmaster I and II ($9K and $12K, respectively). As the I's a low A horn and the II's a low G horn -- plus they're "handmade in Brazil" -- makes me think that the folks at J'Elle Stainer are probably behind these ads.

Re. 2. This really pisses me off. This clown is back on eBay after being kicked off. Check out my blog posts from January 3, and Jaruary 4 this year. Read the comments too, they fill in the whole story. My blog reader did get his money back through PayPal, but I think everyone was surprised.

Re. 3. I wrote about this horn on my blog as well. This horn has nothing to to do with J'Elle Stainer. These Windmaster saxes come from Lopes--the company that did the Low G extension on the Buescher bass that I tried out while at Gandalfe's house, that Quinn was selling.

Love how the neck is photoshopped out of the cheap one...
Build quality on that low G looks a lot nicer than the old buescher, still wish they'd redo the bow so the bell didn't stick up over the top, but whenever Lance finishes mine it will look like that

Re. 2. This really pisses me off. This clown is back on eBay after being kicked off. Check out my blog posts from January 3, and Jaruary 4 this year. Read the comments too, they fill in the whole story. My blog reader did get his money back through PayPal, but I think everyone was surprised.

Re. 3. I wrote about this horn on my blog as well. This horn has nothing to to do with J'Elle Stainer. These Windmaster saxes come from Lopes--the company that did the Low G extension on the Buescher bass that I tried out while at Gandalfe's house, that Quinn was selling.
All I do is set 'em up for you to knock 'em down, Helen!

/me: contemplates changing Helen's title to something that has "Bass" in it.

In any event, I sit corrected. I'm sure you even mentioned Lopes to me at some point and I just forgot about it. :emoji_flushed:

=============

Additionally, notes about bad eBay'ers, especially if they deal in woodwinds, are good for posting. I should create a section for that.

Anyhow, I read a bit on the Saga of "John." I think I see the problem: as far as I'm aware, you can't put a deposit on something through eBay or PayPal. It's a little "side deal," like the 20 or so scammers that wanted me to close my eBay auction and sell to them for hundreds more than my iPhone would cost brand new. Point: if you're buying or selling through eBay, EVERYTHING should go through eBay, even e-mails. As soon as one party or the other wants to make a "special arrangement," that's cause for concern.

FWIW, there was a gentleman scammer that was selling re-engraved horns through eBay a few years back, like old Conn stencils engraved with the Selmer logo, etc. I mentioned this to eBay and they took down the ads. There also have been many people that steal comments and quotes wholesale from my old website and don't give me credit (or blame; they can keep that). One guy was so bad, I complained to eBay, they sent me a "violation of copyright" form, I filled it out, faxed it back in and the ads were taken down. It might just be who you talk to on any given day.

I've posted a comment before about these horns. Much of the description is plagiarized word for word from the description of Benedikt Eppelsheim's bass sax:

http://www.eppelsheim.com/bassax.php?lang=en

But the description doesn't fit the Brazilian horn. The Windmaster has baritone sax sized keys and toneholes, not the nearly 4 inch pads on Eppelsheim's biggest keys. Also, there's nothing new about that neck design.

Back
Top Bottom