Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Bassoon problem

Hi everyone.
Last week I completely restored a Selmer Signet Soloist Basoon.
Antes e Depois Peq.jpg
Everything looks and sounds perfect but from low E to low A.
Every time those notes are played with a bit more air, right away it "jumps" to the harmonic in the upper octave.
If pinky F# key is squeezed with something, like a rubber band or a wood wedge, the bassoon plays correctly.
The hole has been checked and refaced, the spring has been strengthened and I tried with both sheep skin and synthetic pads.
Nothing seems to solve the problem.
If a key were not sealing properly should not play well below low E (I think).
Any one has an idea on what can be happening?
I'm going crazy with it (a bit more)...
Thank you and hope someone can help me.

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Before offering a comment, it would help us to know your level of experience repairing woodwinds.

Before offering a comment, it would help us to know your level of experience repairing woodwinds.
Thanks Mr jbtsax.
I have plenty of experience repairing wind instruments.
6 years of my own business and 4 more working as an assistant technician.
Both woodwind and brass instruments.
I'm also in a Patent registration process of several machines for musicians and repairers.

Is the first time it happens in a bassoon. All the pads are sealing, I guess...
Trying the bassoon with another body parts (from other instruments) I manage to discover that the problem is in the tenor joint.
Because is late in Portugal O can't continue with it today. Tomorrow early in the morning I will double check all the tenor joint.
If I find something unusual I'll be pleased to share it with the forum community.

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Wedging the F# key closed to make the notes respond is not related to the problem being in the upper joint---unless there are perhaps multiple issues causing the octave jump. I assume you have checked the pads using a feeler gauge. The Mag Machine is a useful tool to chase down leaks in woodwinds. Please let us know what you come up with.

Could there be a leak at the cork connection? Perhaps the spring for f# isn't strong enough and and the pad opens when you push air through?
Just a thought from a unexperienced bassoon player ...

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I neglected to mention what a beautiful finish job you have done on that instrument. It is stunning work. Would you mind sharing your technique to produce those stripes.

I neglected to mention what a beautiful finish job you have done on that instrument. It is stunning work. Would you mind sharing your technique to produce those stripes.
Thank you...
Of course I don't mind share the technique.
I removed all the lacquer and color from the bassoon until bare wood.
Then I placed the bell, the tenor joint and the bass joint in a lathe and painted the stripes by hand, also turning the lathe by hand.
For the boot joint, because there is no possibility to mount it in the lathe, I used duct tape to create a kind of stencil and painted it.
Then I applied several coats of colour and 5 coats of marine varnish.

For those who want to see all the process you can check it on the facebook album.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.399754996808561.1073741833.163310230453040&type=3