Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Beautiful Mark VI Soprano Quinn's Selling

Ah ha... I knew there had to be a catch.... "Beautiful Mark VI" & "soprano" do not get uttered together from Pete's lips--or flow together in his prose.

You missed the air quotes my friend... Or at a minimum italics... ;)

When you come for a visit you will have to promise to give my Mark VI soprano a decent shot. It sounds great; has a beautiful & quite malleable tone; and there is nothing wrong with its intonation.

BTW, I don't know why you hate the poor Mark VI soprano so much... It never did anything to you. Sure, it never saw all the key improvements that the A,T, B, even B did, but it is a lovely vintage soprano that is equally at home in all musical genres. In that sense, it is just like its Mark VI siblings.... Just sayin' :p

BTW, I was looking at some of Quinn's horns that he was selling marked "garage sale", and felt very sick to my stomach. The 2 Committee III baris made me weep silently. Furthermore, if I didn't already know what kind of hot, screaming deal I got on my 1 owner, very much loved, most uncommon finish The Martin baritone, then this certainly would have...

I simply don't understand how instruments could get so abused. Sure, some may be have been parts horns already, but in order for them to reach that condition, they will already have been beaten to death...

It reminds me of a story that Paul Coats once told me of a school's silver plated Mark VI bari. He was at this school to give a workshop, and he saw a kid walking down the school's hallway using the bari like you would a walking stick. The bow of this once-lovely bari was so flat, that the bari could nearly stand on its own! WTF is wrong with students; with the teacher; with the entire system, that would allow for the abuse of instruments to go unchecked or unchallenged for long enough for damage like that to occur to such a valuable instrument? :emoji_disappointed:

I just can't even ...

It reminds me of a story that Paul Coats once told me of a school's silver plated Mark VI bari. He was at this school to give a workshop, and he saw a kid walking down the school's hallway using the bari like you would a walking stick. The bow of this once-lovely bari was so flat, that the bari could nearly stand on its own! WTF is wrong with students; with the teacher; with the entire system, that would allow for the abuse of instruments to go unchecked or unchallenged for long enough for damage like that to occur to such a valuable instrument? :emoji_disappointed:

I've seen high school kids marching with Selmer Parises (A Mark 7, so that will make some people sigh in relief...) and Buescher Aristocrats. (a silver plated 127. ;_; )
They really should just have a class in HS bands on how to not abuse instruments...
(Of course that would necessitate every one would listen, which isn't always gonna happen...)
I do wish I had money for some of those horns Quinn sold, as some went for really nice prices.

I helped out at a HS regional music contest. A girl was strolling the halls twirling her clarinet like a baton.

I've attended a bunch of school concerts where the saxophones were Mark VIs. One of the 5 high schools I went to also had Mark VI tenors, one of which I used for a bit. It was in bad cosmetic shape and could have used a good overhaul, but it played sweetly.

Allow me to mention that I do not bear any bad will toward Mark VIs or soprano saxophones. I just like Rick-rolling folks in unusual ways. Also, I see no reason to say that I'd suck less on Helen's Mark VI soprano than my old teacher's Mark VI, but if I can ever get up to WA/BC, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I'd probably sound better on one of Selmer's new curved sopranos.

(I should stop. Someone will take these comments at face value.)

Regarding the Quinn "garage sale," he did sell everything. There were a couple horns I was even interested in, before I reminded myself that playing hurts me. One horn that I kept thinking "Why?" about was the Conn 6M "transitional" horn with lacquer body and silver-plated bell. I'd assume that the horn was made up of pieces of other horns lying around. That H-Couf Superba I bari went for a really good price ($1075), even though it was missing a neck.

I'm not sure the condition can be adequately explained by marching. I'm guessing this is the type of wear-and-tear one gets with an angry spouse.

yeah, I was perusing Quinn's sale too. Some stuff caught my eye but I had to cut myself off from projects. As Gandalf reminded me, I have a Bass Clarinet sitting around for 6 years..... :-/

Oh No! I didn't spot that Noblet Bass Clarinet Quinn was selling. It sure would have looked great sitting in my basement!!!

> I'm not sure the condition can be adequately explained by marching.
Of the M6 soprano? It's probably the worst damage on any horn I've seen. I have seen horns in (somewhat) worse shape, but at least all the parts were intact.

I would have loved attempting to learn how to fix horns with one of the Quinn garage sale items. For me, though, it's just too expensive: I don't have any tools or equipment to repair anything and my wife would probably dislike me buying a flattened horn when I haven't gotten her clarinets or alto sax fixed, yet.

Here's another good one. 3/4 of a saxophone. Sold for 1210 Euros. That's $1,418.50. This one has a bit more historical importance, tho.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600_002.jpg s-l1600_003.jpg s-l1600_005.jpg s-l1600_006.jpg s-l1600_008.jpg

That Sop looks like it would be really nice, other than it's missing a large chunk.
Also, from the description of it:
"Ce saxophone est à restaurer, il manque une petite partie du saxophone"
Literally "this saxophone needs restoration. It's missing a small part of it."
"Small part."
Look at the ending of the top part near the B "pearl"/touchpiece.
Small is a bit off... =P

What the heck happened to both of these sops though?

If you look at the screenshot I've attached (from http://www.mimo-international.com) or this much uglier pic, it looks like you can actually remove the neck from at least some A Sax sopranos. However, even saying that, it looks like this A Sax horn is missing a bit more.

I wonder how long that horn has been missing the "small bit."

Jim, the horn I link to from MIMO has a better shot of the engraving. Might not be exactly the same, but close.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    412.3 KB · Views: 303
Yah. That's why I had to put in the "don't take me seriously" comment. I didn't want someone to think that there are S80 Serie III curved sops out there or something like that. At the very least, the price should tell you it's not a Selmer anything.

I am, however, quite amazed that you can price a sax that low. I really would like to hear from someone that bought one of these -- or an alto, etc. version. Do you even get a horn or is it a picture of a horn in a box?

Pro music friends of mine buy this crap all the time for instruments that they wanna play with but would never use. Clarinets, sop saxes, and ect. They seem to be happy with them when I see them at one of our practices. That $80 clarinet sure sounds fine, is not something you will hear very much though.

Well, I know Groovekiller has or had one of those Vibratosaxes. IMO, he should trade his in and get the clear ones with the lights. Nobody's ever claimed that a Vibratosax is the next Selmer Mark VI, though.

I wonder, if I asked really nicely, if one of those "Selmer" manufacturers would send me a horn to test.

Here's a beautiful Ridi alto. I think the wires are supposed to make the horn vibrate more freely and add depth to your tone.

(I've not heard of the "Ridi" name before, but the engraving does resemble R&C horns from the 1920s. "Ridi" also means "Laugh" in Italian.)

BJAWRiLn93ZS150739316905P117.jpg

Back
Top Bottom