Beautiful video

That was especially meaningful to me to watch how good quality Tarogotok are manufactured. It was interesting how the bore was first drilled out using a traditional drill bit, and then shaped using a tapered reamer. It makes sense, but I wouldn't have thought of doing it like that. I would like a translation of what the body was dipped in after cutting the toneholes.

I don't know if this link has been share before on this forum, but it is my favorite example of Tarogoto playing at the highest level. This is an example of the concept of sound of the instrument that I would like to achieve someday.

"Assai - Zimmerwald" Gerrit Boeschoten, Tárogató

That was especially meaningful to me to watch how good quality Tarogotok are manufactured. It was interesting how the bore was first drilled out using a traditional drill bit, and then shaped using a tapered reamer. It makes sense, but I wouldn't have thought of doing it like that. I would like a translation of what the body was dipped in after cutting the toneholes.

It's paraffin oil (I only listened to that part once, so I'll verify - my wife speaks Hungarian fluently). I'll also try to find out how long they leave it soaking. But it's not the paraffin oil we know here in the US (ie, kerosene). My understanding is that it's the stuff they use in Europe to treat constipation, so food-grade.

It seems strange to me to soak the wood in oil before applying surface finish later (shellac from what it seems later in the video), but I guess they let it dry really well in between.

From other sources, namely Romanian panflute makers/players, it seems that Europeans largely prefer the synthetic paraffin oil over nut oils. Almond oil is typically used for the interior of bamboo panflutes, while in Western Europe, they prefer paraffin oil, for fears of nut oils going rancid (this has never happened to me). Also, cost might be another factor.

Regarding the reamer - it's probably better to remove most of the wood using the cheaper drill bit and put less wear and tear on the reamer. I wonder where one would get these reamers made, and what the middle and lower joint reamers look like...

It also looks like he does some minimal brazing of the keys, I guess they're still not standard issue.

If I was shopping for a new instrument, I'd consider this shop, just by seeing how clean their work is. I wonder if there is a similar Timis factory video :))

One thing is for sure - Hungarians are very proud of this instrument, it's very close to their hearts. I believe the player at the beginning of the video is Mako Peter (they order names last-first), who was the clarinet/tárogató player in my friend's band in Budapest.

I don't know if this link has been share before on this forum, but it is my favorite example of Tarogoto playing at the highest level. This is an example of the concept of sound of the instrument that I would like to achieve someday.

"Assai - Zimmerwald" Gerrit Boeschoten, Tárogató
I have never seen this video. Really nice playing, but I'm not too crazy about the overprocessing (unless it was recorded live in a VERY LARGE hall). My personal preference is more of an in-your-face type of sound:)

Nonetheless, very sensible playing!

Reams...

...are pretty common machine tools. As I saw them being made back in the 1970s, a standard blank (out of a wide selection kept on hand) is first machined to the appropriate taper, and then the tool is heat treated to harden the edges. (The main body of the tool remains "chewy" so as to better bear the strain placed on it when in use.)

They are used on clarinets, bassoons and oboes as well. I even have one laying in the tool chest in the back room, originally used to fit pegs in some furniture that my father once built. One sharp little piece of precision machining. You can work it into a drilled hole and bring hardwood to the taper with very little pressure.

That is the way the holes in the peg box for orchestral stringed instruments (except bass) are shaped. There is an opposite cutter similar to a pencil sharpener that shapes the pegs as well. It takes a very good match to keep the pegs from slipping with so much tension on the strings.

That is the way the holes in the peg box for orchestral stringed instruments (except bass) are shaped. There is an opposite cutter similar to a pencil sharpener that shapes the pegs as well. It takes a very good match to keep the pegs from slipping with so much tension on the strings.

I have a viola peg hole reamer and a matching peg shaved, pretty well priced. On the double bass, they typically use a tapered reamer in the pin block to install the end pin plug. Those reamers are pretty expensive, if one goes with a quality hardened steel one (and not a Chinese piece of crap) On the bass I built, I went with a simple cylindrical hole.

George

Back
Top Bottom