Benedikt Eppelsheim Saxophones

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I'm currently luving my Eppelsheim soprillo and bass sax to low A. So I might be biased but here is some information on what some people consider to be the best modern saxes in the world today.
bassax_8.jpg

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedikt_Eppelsheim

My experience: Benedikt is a genus who oh-by-the-way happens to be a true gentleman. Both of my purchases went flawlessly. Communication with Benedikt during the design period for the bass sax to low A was easy and painless. People who play these instruments are amazed at the great intonation and easiness when voicing the notes. For example, the bass sax needs no alternate fingerings to play the full range of the instrument. And there is a sweet altissimo key below the right thumb for playing above the range.

You need to talk about that plunger mechanism, Jim.

Groovekiller has a couple Eppelsheim instruments. I've e-mailed Mr. E a few times, as well. If I was in the market for a new bass, I'd definitely try one of the Eppelsheim horns, first.

Pretty cool. I'd love to see more photos of that.

I'm working day and night, so photos will have to wait.

The Eppelsheim altissimo key on the Bb bass saxophone is operated by the left thumb, much like the low A key on a baritone. The vent tube for the altissimo key is actually a valve. The easiest way to describe it: It's a cross between a trumpet valve and an Amado waterkey. The altissimo vent tube is completely external to the neck. The inside of the neck is smooth near the altissimo key with no intrusion by the vent.

The link from the altissimo thumb lever to the key on the neck is accomplished by use of a miniature bicycle brake cable. That sounds strange, but that's what it is. However, it's a great brake cable. It feels like high end Campagnolo/Shimano brake linkage on a very small scale and it works great - put the neck wherever you want. The altissimo key always works.

For altissimo, you'll have to invent new fingerings, but with the addition of the altissimo valve, you'll have a choice of 2 or 3 that work for each high note. Pick the one you want and practice. Bass sax altissimo is addictive. Probably more fun for the player than the listener, but who knows? If you don't want the altissimo key, Benedikt Eppelsheim will make the bass sax without it, but why? The key is almost maintenance-free, and doesn't leak.

I forgot about the low A on Gandalfe's Eppelsheim bass. Since you really need that left thumb key for the low A, the altissimo key has to go elsewhere.
There are good photos of the altissimo key located for the RIGHT thumb on Eppelsheim's Eb contrabass sax page, because the "conventional" shaped contrabass sax has a low A like Gandalfe's bass. Here's the link to the Eppelsheim contrabass sax photos:

http://www.eppelsheim.com/eb_kontrabass ... hp?lang=en

Again, the altissimo key linkage is a miniature bicycle brake cable, considerably longer than the left-thumb version. Gandalfe will have to give us his revue of the "feel" of that right thumb altissimo linkage. Does it feel more like Shimano or Campagnolo?

Gandalfe said:
Groovekiller said:
The Eppelsheim altissimo key on the Bb bass saxophone is operated by the left thumb, much like the low A key on a baritone.
Actually mine is operated by the right thumb because I have a low A key on my bass sax. I'll get pictures up one of these days. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom