Beno?t Sauv? playing Recorder Blue Trane by John Coltrane

1. Daughter #2 (4-years old) says she likes it. That says a lot, right there.
2. I'd like to hear it on tenor recorder. That'd be a bit more interesting. As it stands, the timbre's not quite right. It's excellent playing, but just doesn't sound quite right to me.

I was wondering if you'd be able to hear the tenor recorder. When I try to play mine, it kinda gets hidden by the recording because it is a lower pitch. The higher pitch stands out more for illustrative purposes methinks. :ugeek:

Yah. I was thinking that, because he's trying to play the solo along with Coltrane. I just meant, musically, I'd like to hear it.

Also, looking at that guy's embochure makes me realize why I've never had good control over the recorders I've played: my embochure was way too tight.

I think what he needs to do is mic a tenor recorder and then set the level within his recording software. A one mic setup won't work for tenor recorder.

pete said:
1. Daughter #2 (4-years old) says she likes it. That says a lot, right there.
2. I'd like to hear it on tenor recorder. That'd be a bit more interesting. As it stands, the timbre's not quite right. It's excellent playing, but just doesn't sound quite right to me.

He's playing alto recorder in the clip. Doing it on tenor would mean re-learning the whole thing with different fingerings.

Interactive Recorder Fingering Chart (for Sopranino, Treble [alto], Bass and Contrabass Recorders in F)
Interactive Recorder Fingering Chart (Descant, Tenor and Great Bass Recorders in C)

Interactive pitch conversion chart. (Just found it while looking for recorder fingerings, so I decide to post it.)

Yah. Different fingerings would be necessary because the recorders are pitched differently, in any event (just as if I was trying to play the solo on alto and bass clarinets, for instance, if I wanted to play it in the same key) -- but looking at the interactive charts, the recorder fingerings are even screwed up beyond that. Kewl.

Back
Top Bottom