Big Band Samba with Clarinets

Roger Aldridge

Composer in Residence
Distinguished Member
My big band arrangement of Sleepy Creek Samba is available at the American Music Center. If you would like to have this piece for your band please let me know and I'll email a set of score & parts. The music is being distributed without charge.

The reed section is scored for flute, 3 clarinets, and baritone sax. This gives a fresh and distinctive sound to a big band. If a band does not have 3 clarinet doubles it may be possible to make some adjustments. Flute is the featured solo instrument.

Follow the link below to the American Music Center, click on the Compositions tab, and scroll down to Sleepy Creek Samba (score). There is also a leadsheet version of the tune with a MP3 recorded by the Jason Shapiro quartet.

http://www.amc.net/RogerMAldridge

Roger

At my American Music Center page with the compositions (ie, click on the Compositions tab), scroll down to the leadsheet version of Sleepy Creek Samba (copyright year 2000, I believe) and you'll see a MP3 for it. The recording is by Jason Shapiro's quartet.

When I'm able to get a recording of the big band chart I'll add it to the AMC page.

Ben,

Sleepy Creek Samba (score) is the big band arrangement score.

Sleepy Creek Samba (leadsheet) is the tune's leadsheet -- this is the one that has the MP3 file that was recorded by Jason Shapiro's quartet.

I hope to have a recording of the big band arrangement soon and I'll be able to add it to my AMC page.

There are several other pieces on my page that have both a tune leadsheet and an ensemble score...such as Buzzards in Love and Connecticut Ave SUVs.

Thanks, Roger

If a band would like to try this chart but does not have 3 clarinets, the following alternatives can be used:

1st clarinet -- Clarinet is important.

2nd clarinet -- Soprano sax or trumpet in cup mute (if a band has 5 trumpets).

3rd clarinet -- I've written an alto sax part that is a transposition of the 3rd clarinet part.

Thus, if a band has flute, clarinet, soprano, alto, and bari this reed section can be used. Of course, it will have a different sound than with using 3 clarinets; but, it will be okay.

Roger

Back
Top Bottom