Big Band Waltz's

THE WALTZ YOU SAVED FOR ME (I think it was done by Wayne King, The Waltz King, but don't hold me to it). Our trad jazz band sometimes does this when we have two reeds - beginning in waltz tempo, then breaking into four-beat, ending back in waltz time mid-last-chorus. Nice basic harmonies.

PM your e-mail - I can send you a sound clip (with Paul Woltz on one reed). . . alas, I have no chart or arrangements.

DAVE

Moon River is nice. Emily is my favorite waltz. I don't know if it has been arranged for big band or not. Tenderly is also a great waltz tune.

John

THE WALTZ YOU SAVED FOR ME (I think it was done by Wayne King, The Waltz King, but don't hold me to it).
Yep. It was his theme song.

It depends on the age of your audience. Older folks like tunes they know the words to. Here are a few.

"Always," "You forgot to Remember," "What'll I Do," and "When I Lost You" by Irving Berlin.
"Falling in Love with Love" by Richard Rodgers
"Some Day My Prince Will Come" by Churchill

Among my favorites are:

"Waltz for Debby"
"Bluesette"
"Wait 'Til You See Her"
"Alice In Wonderland"
"Emily"
"Sometime Ago"

For Moon River, we just use an old stock arrangement by Warrington. Nothing fancy, and no solo work per se (the lead trumpet does have an exposed section about halfway through. It's been my experience that waltzers like a good solid beat and a smooth melody - nothing more than that.

I've got about forty decent stock arrangements, usually of tunes that are occasional requests but not something that I'd program on a regular basis. The stocks also have the happy coincidence of being easy to play - something that smoothes out arrangements that don't get practiced with any regularity. Finally, they are usually dirt cheap.

So, all of that work in the Brill Building didn't go for naught...

Another 3/4 tune comes to mind . . . JEANNINE I DREAM OF LILAC TIME, 1928, Nathaniel Shilkret, from the film LILAC TIME. I have the sheet music for it and used to play it all the time (in 4/4, as a laid-back jazz piece).

Very melodic . . . but I agree with Al - the audience's age will matter.

BUT, I've found that even with the more esoteric material, most folks like it if it is played well. DAVE

Know nothing about big band arrangements but I really like the following:

Alice in Wonderland and Waltz for Debbie, as Al has mentioned above.

Grandfather's Waltz (as played by Getz).

Waltz for a Lovely Wife (Phil Woods), but probably unsuitable for big band.

Tennessee Waltz, which certainly doesn't sound corny when Sorry Rollins plays it, and you could shift into 4/4 measure and continue Lou Donaldson style. That would be cool.

Bethena's Waltz (Joplin), but probably no arrangements for that either.

Take This Waltz (Leonard Cohen), which is a really beautiful tune.

Iffen you are playing it for dancers, I'd avoid the shift into 4/4 recommendation. You'll clear the dance floor and end up with some mildly irritated dancers as a result if you do. Know your audience and all of that.

A couple more for the older audiences:
True Love - Warrington
Melody of Love - I think it's a Wayne King arrangement

Played a nice version of Emily on a gig yesterday, but didn't notice who did the arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom