Blanks . . . Selmer and Vandoren

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I play a short shank S80 D (2.5-3 Hemke or 3 Vandoren) on my alto, and have a C* (4 Hemke) and ppl love my tone on my VII, even amongst VI players.

I rarely play my C* though, and it's a large chamber C*. Yes, I had 2 C*s, one had a larger square chamber than the other - visually apparent too. One came wth my VII the other i bought shortly after as a backup - so we're talking 1980ish. (we're not talking S90 markings either, both S80s)

I also play Couf mpcs which I find very nice too.

the last couple S80s i've bought have been mangled by ppl trying to reface them. on had the facing curve going beyond the window, another extremely uneven rails ...... i don't know how they can mangle these so badly.

Re: S-80 Mouthpieces, is it just me...

Selmer only does the finishing work on these according to my sources. The actual mouthpiece comes from the same source in Germany that Vandoren and a lot of other "makers" use.

Ed Svoboda said:
Selmer only does the finishing work on these according to my sources. The actual mouthpiece comes from the same source in Germany that Vandoren and a lot of other "makers" use.
I thought selmer paris made all their mouthpieces inhouse from rod material ?

also the Selmer Paris logo authenticates the authenticity of it being manufactured in France .....

Vandoren on their site kinda say that they start with a blank.

Gentlemen, could you please start another thread about "blanks"? I'm not a mouthpiece guy and I haven't a clue what you're talking about (well, maybe a little one). I'd like it if you can enlighten those of us who are a bit late to the party.

So does Selmer get their rod from that place and make their own mpcs or are you saying Selmer gets the mpcs from there ?

I'm confused because the Selmer website shows the mpcs, which they say are made in house, made from rod all the way to the finished product.

I'm just confused. But that's OK. I'm generally confused: I have a teenage daughter.

Back
Top Bottom