Bond, James Bond

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I was reading a list of all time favorite Bond Movie themes and hoping that their'd be a decent theme for Quantum of Solace. The new movie's theme is 'Another Way to Die' by whom, I do not know. Not sure I like it but we'll see how it meshes with the movie. What's with all this buzzy guitar riff love stuff.

There have been a beavy of really great musicians singing for this series:
  • Paul McCartney and Wings - Live and Let Die
  • Carley Simon - No One Does It Better
  • Duran Duran - A View to a Kill
  • Nancy Sinatra - You Only Live Twice
  • Shirley Bassey - Moonraker
  • Tina Turner - Golden Eye
Here's one top ten list of Bond Music favs.

I was reading a list of all time favorite Bond Movie themes and hoping that their'd be a decent theme for Quantum of Solace. The new movie's theme is 'Another Way to Die' by whom, I do not know. Not sure I like it but we'll see how it meshes with the movie. What's with all this buzzy guitar riff love stuff.

There have been a beavy of really great musicians singing for this series:
  • Paul McCartney and Wings - Live and Let Die
  • Carley Simon - No One Does It Better
  • Duran Duran - A View to a Kill
  • Nancy Sinatra - You Only Live Twice
  • Shirley Bassey - Moonraker
  • Tina Turner - Golden Eye
Here's one top ten list of Bond Music favs.

Shirley Bassey didn't do JUST Moonraker.

She also did Goldfinger and Diamonds Are Forever. She's the only artist with three Bond theme, and if I'm not mistaken, the only one with more than one.

Having done a medley of all three Bond themes with her not two weeks ago, I know this for sure!

Uh, the theme from Goldfinger, with the screaming brass section and the heavy string base, is the ultimate Bond theme from so many directions. The rater of the series of "hits" is obviously familiar with music, but to even consider the Madonna "hit" in the same list is so bankrupt as to make the whole effort worthless.

And, even the Goldfinger theme is not as impressive as the tune from the movie known as "Oddjob's Pressing Engagement". A more comprehensive homage to the trombone has never been written, and the bass bone part literally makes the tune.

Come to think of it, the throwaway "Into Miami" transition, played under the air footage that brings the film to the Miami hotel after the theme is finished, ain't that bad when it comes to alto sax playing either...

The movie was great and the new song fit in. The new Bond movies seem slicker, have fewer slow moments where you remember you're at a movie and start getting restless, and better acting. I really enjoy the movie but I think I caught Suzy sleeping. :???:

Last edited:
I have to vote for Shirley Bassey and Goldfinger, the singer, the tune, and the movie. Still my favorite James Bond movie, and one of my favorite movies, period. A guy in Philly owned the gadget equipped Aston Martin DB5 that was used in the flick, and I would see it on the street from time to time, back in the day.

And congrats Merlin, on doing the Shirley Bassey gig!

I have to vote for Shirley Bassey and Goldfinger, the singer, the tune, and the movie.

+1. Definitely near or on top of the Best Ever charts. Style, wherever you look and listen.

(I'm still not past that '70s Swedish Dance Orchestra post over in SOTW)

Back
Top Bottom