Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Boosey & Hawkes Lafleur Bass Clarinet

I've got a bass clarinet that I'm itching to know the year of manufacturing. I have a collection of Boosey and Hawkes serial numbers from their soprano clarinets, but nowhere on the internet can I find information on their bass clarinets and manufacturing years for them. Here's a little bit of information about my bass clarinet and maybe if you know anything about Boosey and Hawkes you might be able to help me.

Serial Number in the 12000 range, hard rubber & nickle plating, wooden original case. Bell is stamped with the Boosey and Hawkes London and Lafleur logo. It also has the single "wire rod" style to cover the low Eb on the bell.

My guess would be somewhere between the 50's-60's, but I don't know as much about the production of hard rubber clarinets than I'd like to. Thanks to anyone who might be able to point me in a direction of learning about my horn!

Sorry, I made a mistake, I meant a serial number in the #1200 series. I'm very interested in the history of Boosey and Hawkes as I've heard they don't produce clarinets anymore and they are much more sought after in the UK. I'm very happy with this horn so far, it's a wonderful piece of work.

s0B7FUi.jpg

dFasRVz.jpg

I'm very happy with this horn so far, it's a wonderful piece of work.
You seem to have a few keys unsprung, one looks kinda broken, and another is a few inches away from the actual clarinet itself, so I'm going to dispute that it's a "wonderful piece of work" :D.

@Steve says that the LaFleur was a stencil brand sold through Boosey & Hawkes, so that easily explains away the serial number. I did some very cursory checking and I'm not very fond of calling it an Amati or a Malerne, though. I think those side keys are fairly unique and you'd want to take that into consideration.

More pics, preferably of the whole horn, would be nice. One piece or two? Any "Made in" markings?

Yeah, that key touches would make it very identifiable .. though I don't know much about alto/bass clarinets for specific manufacturing specifics.

It looks like it's rubber too (the splotchy discolorations), which would minimize the makers. B&H, Malerne, and a few others.

My bass is hard rubber too. However, it has different key touches. It is marked Made in Germany. This one... ????

I'm still pretty convinced mine is an RK. This B&H though, doesn't look anything like it.

Last edited:
Yeah. The side keys are fairly different. (BTW, that horn looks absolutely great, Helen!)

I did come across a couple basses that looked more similar to OP's horn. I think one was a Malerne, which B&H did use as a stencil, and one was an SML. It's also a possible combo deal, as SML did buy out Malerne and Malerne did make hard rubber horns. However, the pics I saw weren't similar enough and I really need to see more of OP's horn.

Back
Top Bottom