Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

...bought a Stowasser :D...

kymarto

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I can't believe I did it, but I did it.

Some of you may have noticed it on eBay--not the one being sold by Steven Fox, but another. This one was being offered by Ioan Scaunas, who, aside from being an amazing player, has the world's largest collection of tárogatók, and is a top mouthpiece maker as well. The horn has a couple of repaired cracks, but is in top playing condition he says (it's in the mail), with new pads, corks, etc., and original mpc and case. I've seen hi-res pics and it is gorgeous. Next week I should be able to answer the question of how it feels to play one of these things.

On the Reményi front things are going swimmingly. I've put crescents in a few toneholes and the intonation is sublime. I'm finally getting some facility and feeling quite comfortable playing it. Not too much hindered by the lack of the second octave key, although fingerings from second octave B up are a bit convoluted. I'm solid up to E3.

I don't know why exactly, but I am enchanted by this instrument, which is good because I just spent a hell of a lot of money on tárogatók.

I am enchanted by this instrument, which is good because I just spent a hell of a lot of money on tárogatók.
Very good. Additional + if your significant other thinks so, too.

Very good. Additional + if your significant other thinks so, too.

My significant other was less pleased than I was with this addition to the family, but I did manage to escape with no significant physical damage.

It is evident in this and other threads that these instruments are wise investments for you. Life is not measured by numbers in a ledger. Life is measured in terms of emotion and aesthetics.

Thank you Groovekiller, I heartily agree. For some unknown reason this instrument has inspired me in a way that I hardly expected. There is something so satisfying about holding it and blowing it; its quirks make it all the better.

On a purely economic level, Stowassers are rare and getting rarer, so I figure it will still be worth something when my heirs sell it. For me, the feeling I get when playing tárogató certainly justifies the price, at least as far as my Reményi goes, and I can't imagine the Stowasser being different.

Thank you Groovekiller, I heartily agree. For some unknown reason this instrument has inspired me in a way that I hardly expected. There is something so satisfying about holding it and blowing it; its quirks make it all the better.

On a purely economic level, Stowassers are rare and getting rarer, so I figure it will still be worth something when my heirs sell it. For me, the feeling I get when playing tárogató certainly justifies the price, at least as far as my Reményi goes, and I can't imagine the Stowasser being different.

Alright, I'm going to have to see some videos now!

Congratulations!

George

Well, this will answer some question about the fabled Stowasser, at least. I have been tweaking the Remenyi like crazy. My mods to the mpc meant that it was playing about 30 cents sharp, so I extended the end of the mpc so that it would not leave a gap when pulled out to the correct length. Tone hole inserts in G to C holes because that was playing a bit sharp (at least for me with my mpc/embouchure/reed). I also had to reseat a couple of pads that were leaking and extend one spring that was not allowing the G# key to open enough (an arched spring on the side Bb key). Now I am pretty happy and will record a bit and post a sound file at least. Maybe if I get ambitious I will post a comparison video or audio of the two horns, when the Stowasser finally arrives. More to come...

Back
Top Bottom