Bought my first professional clarinet!

Well, my tenor sax is finished. I've had this tenor sax for two years now. I got it when I was a sophomore in high school. I'm not even sure if it is a student or intermediate model, but my band teacher gave it to me when I first started learning saxophone and I will bring it with me to college. But from reading the engraving on the sax, it says "Yamaha, YTS-23, 045683". And for a mouthpiece it's a Selmer S-80 (as it says on the mouthpiece) and on the bottom it has a capital C with a star next to it.
IMG_20130816_143814.jpgIMG_20130816_143842.jpg

It's a student model, but one of the best for tone and intonation.

+1 jbt's point on the Yamaha 23. The only knock on the 23 from anyone has been, "It's too bright sounding." Of course, a student shouldn't care about that and I don't think it's overly bright.

The mouthpiece you have is a professional model.

+1 jbt's point on the Yamaha 23. The only knock on the 23 from anyone has been, "It's too bright sounding." Of course, a student shouldn't care about that and I don't think it's overly bright.

The mouthpiece you have is a professional model.

It's a student model, but one of the best for tone and intonation.

Well, despite for what it is, it works great! And when I get enough cash, I will most certainly get a professional tenor sax. I heard professional Selmer and Yanigisawa saxes are pretty good. It will be a used one too hopefully, unless I get a new one for a cheap deal. And the Selmer mouthpiece works great too! I'll experiment with Selmer mouthpieces when I get my pro tenor sax (and hopefully other saxes as well); unless there's other tenor sax mouthpieces that I should give a try.

If you're not using it as your main axe, there's really no reason to replace the YTS-23. It's a very serviceable horn and extremely common. The last part is important because that can mean that if you break something on the horn and you have a gig that night, your local shop will probably have that part in stock. A lot of pros use the 23 as a backup. My set up for a few years was:

Main: Yamaha YBS-52 (intermediate)
Yamaha YCL-34 clarinet (intermediate, wooden)
Yamaha YAS-23
Yamaha YTS-23

If you do want a "pro" tenor, though, I wrote an article on pro alto saxophones that hover in the sub-$1500 range. Extending to tenor, that'd be in the sub-$2000 range. If you're trying for a new Yani, it's slightly under $3000 for the "base" 901 and around $4800 for the closeout S80 Selmers, per Kessler Music (and his prices are generally really good).

So, when are you gonna learn flute and/or oboe?

So, when are you gonna learn flute and/or oboe?

Probably when I'm in college. It's just been so far a string of emails. First, I contact my clarinet instructor because according to the class schedule he is also the flute and oboe instructor. I tell him that I want to learn flute and oboe. He replies be saying sign up for s second set of flute/oboe lessons since I already signed up for clarinet lessons. I reply back to him asking how to do that. He then says contact the band instructor, which I have a few times before. So I do, and now I'm just being patient and waiting for a reply. Hopefully, he'll reply as I'm moving out on Thursday to start my first year of college and classes start on the 26th.

Update on the flute and oboe: My band director said it was fine if I signed up for an additional set of flute/oboe lessons. I asked him to help me register for them as I need to go through the normal class registration process. But hey, I'm going to start flute and oboe!

My step grand daughter in the seventh grade has a series 9 and about ten other clarinets. She rotates to get the feel of each one. The Selmer Series 9 is a good clarinet according to her. She also likes the Amati professional one. But her all out favorite is a 1940's BC Cadet because she can really "rock out" on that one.

Back
Top Bottom