Brancher Leggiero Ligature

saxhound

Staff member
CE/Moderator
I've been liking the Brancher lig on sax, so I ordered one for clarinet. The darn thing will not stay on the mouthpiece. As soon as I start to tighten it, it just starts sliding up to the tip until it slips off. At first I thought maybe it was my John Pierce mouthpiece having a different shape, but I pulled out my mp box, and it happens on every clarinet piece I own.

Then I'm thinking it's the lig that is defective. Well our friends in South Bend happened to double ship my order, so I opened up the second one and the same thing happens.

I know I can probably put some tape or a patch on the back side of the mouthpiece to give it a grip, but I shouldn't have to do that. Has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't experienced it but I've heard of it. Makes you wonder how it could have gotten to market. Have you tried it upside down yet? That sometimes helps.

If you try that, take some pics PLEASE!! :p

I've had that same problem with an alto Dukoff. I had to add a bit of tape to keep it on the mouthpiece.

Nope - it won't fit that way either. Guess I'll stick with that ultra cheap but effective Luyben. It's too bad, because I really like it on tenor and bari.

I think it's because the clarinet ligs are nickle plated, while the sax ligs are gold plated. the nickle is a little more slippery. Even standard 2 screw clarinet ligs slip sometimes.

I take some fairly coarse sandpaper, like 220 or coarser, and scratch the underside of the lig wherever it touches the mouthpiece. It works, but you won't be able to return the ligature.

Back
Top Bottom