Bummed out about instrument change

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
I got a note the other day from the musical director for one of the groups I play with that she wants me to switch back to tenor from bari. I'm kinda bummed by the deal as I was just starting to really enjoy playing bari and I find that the voice of bari fits in with a lot of what I hear in my head. I started out playing alto as a kid since I wasn't big enough to carry a tenor home. I eventually made myself into a tenor player in this very group. Then I moved over to the bari seat so that another sax player could play tenor instead of clarinet. The surprise of it all was that I found that I really enjoy playing classical bari.

I'm trying to figure out a nice way of telling our musical director that I'd rather just play bari in the future.

Any suggestions?

Dear Music Director,
I've considered your request to play tenor instead of bari-sax. And I've decided that that is a crazy proposition. I love bari, it's in my blood. So, in short, get lost.
Musically yours
Ed

you can just copy and paste it if you wish :eek:

no need to thank me :emoji_rage:

or you could just tell her that you really have enjoyed playing bari more than tenor and that you would prefer to keep playing bari.

i think she would understand that.

i assume they are short a tenor?
does she regard the tenor part more important than the bari part ?
usually the tenor part is replicated from someplace else - french horns, trombone, baritone, etc. But i can understand how, even though it's covered by most other parts, a tenor sounds better than the rest :D

maybe i could play the concert for 'ya on tenor ......

For the longest time we had just two saxes. One alto and one tenor. Then we added a second alto. Then we found a student (this is a college band that is augmented by people who aren't students) to play bari for a couple of seasons. He left I took the chair. It's a struggle to fill out the section and I suspect the tenor chair is more important than the bari chair.

See? I told you I'd get bari converts.

Seriously, Ed, if you want to play bari, just tell the director. You can't get if you don't ask.

I have a long standing agreement that if I ever get a bass sax that I get to play it. We actually had a bass sax part in a piece last year and she asked if I had one. My reply was "not yet".

I'll mention to her that I want to get back to playing bari. For that matter I can always double in the ensemble if necessary.

We had that discussion a few years ago.

I think she understands that a bass sax is in my future but it will have to be a project horn to get it in the door.

Tell you what: buy a brand new Eppelsheim bass. Contact Benedikt and ask him to send you the horn in pieces so you can assemble it yourself. There you go: project horn.

He might actually do that: he's really nice to talk with. I don't know if it'd save (much) cash, tho. He might even charge extra :).

Back
Top Bottom