Bundy (and Signet Special) Mazzeo Clarinets

I have my Selmer (Paris) Mazzeo horn now, in full working condition, so I no longer need to look for parts for the three or four "declutched" low end Mazzeos that I have held in my hands in the past, thank you very much.

While I have quite a collection of clarinets by some standards....

...I am by no means a "collector" in the traditional sense of the term.

In terms of saxophones, I am even less so - these days I only own a Conn alto of 1920's vintage and a Yamaha YBS 62 baritone - hardly the "collection" of a collector.

If I blundered across a mint condition Selmer (Paris) alto clarinet, I would not even soil my hands picking it up, leaving it in the middle of the road for some other lucky person to enjoy, or to profit from (ha!) by turning a quick sale on eBay, or even to be run down by a passing vehicle. Contempt takes many forms.

And, again, I make that statement with the distinction of having earned my first money as a musician whilst playing the alto clarinet - how many of you have earned a franc, cent, mark or penny in the same fashion?

It was telling that, when offered my pick of mouthpieces as additional compensation by the same Selmer rep who handed me my double sawbuck payday, I quickly homed in on a C* bass clarinet mouthpiece and ligature. The similar alto clarinet mouthpiece that I had used that evening (we were all gifted with the mouthpiece that we used, for obvious sanitary reasons) has long ago been consigned to the junk bin in the jumble room, while that gratuitously gifted bass mouthpiece gets occasional use to this very day.

And, again, I make that statement with the distinction of having earned my first money as a musician whilst playing the alto clarinet - how many of you have earned a franc, cent, mark or penny in the same fashion?
<raises hand>

Okay, okay, it was a Christmas fundraising gig for the Salvation Army. We were short of saxes, so I took my Bundy.
(In that process I learned that at temperatures below 0°C the plastic body contracts more than beyond the end play of the metal keywork. But the brass was little better off, with frozen valves and stuck slides)

I've never even touched an alto, let alone seen one (though I have seen the case of one, which I suspect may have been occupied !).

But I do have a Mazzeo system Bundy Sop I could be persuaded to part with (may include a converted ex-Mazzeo in the deal for a spare bell...)

Salvation Army, Smalvation Army...

I can top that one with ease. When I was a young stud, I used to work a second job during the winter as a rink attendant at the Saint Louis Municipal Ice Rink, down in Forest Park.

Most of it was skating backwards for hours at a time, picking up the pretty girls who fell, and running the Zamboni once an hour. It was easy work for us young hockey players, and Georgia (the top dog in the parks department) used to take care of us guys well, with plenty of hours and adjustments to work hours when we needed it.

However, at Christmas time, there were some additional duties, one of which being the annual Christmas skating party, usually on Christmas Eve. For that day, we half frozen guys shed our wool rink attendant garb and dressed up in costumes. There were Santa, Santa's elves, various storybook characters and animals, all kept in a room back behind the locker room during the summer, serving as a home for wayward mice.

One year, there were four of us who were musically inclined, and one climber among us suggested that we form a small band to blow Christmas carols while so costumed. I opted for an Eb clarinet, figuring light and plastic was best for the situation, and I spent about six hours, dressed as a polar bear (I fit the costume the best), skating backwards in sub-freezing temperatures, faking my way through the canon of carols and other Christmas songs with frozen lips and stiff fingers.

We did get to have all the free hot cocoa that we wanted...

Mind you, I got paid for that as well. (However, I didn't get scale, since this was municipal work rather than union work. We had no worries about the business agent from the musicians' union; they were all staying inside where it was warm.) Was the Salvation Army gig a pay job?

> Was the Salvation Army gig a pay job?

Good lord, no. After our Winter concert we thought it'd be nice to fill the last week before Christmas with some caroling, but you need a permit for busking here, whether or not you play with a hat or an open case in front of you, and getting a permit for the Zurich Bahnhofstrasse is difficult throughout the year and impossible before Christmas. Unless, of course, you're the Salvation Army doing their seasonal donation drive...you get the idea. Win-win.

On the way to the venue we had a lil' warmup at a train station (thaw the brass etc), and there an elderly lady tipped our bassist with a $20 bill, so technically we were paid. :)

Back
Top Bottom