Bycatch: Selmer S90 mpc

tictactux

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I recently won a $90 tenor project on eBay. Along with the horn there was a Selmer S90 190 mouthpiece in quite fine condition. It fits the neck but is significantly longer than my Yamaha 5C.
Its overall length is quite exactly 130mm. Is that a bari mouthpiece?
Doorstop or valuable?

(Edit: attached picture w/ S90 and a Tenor mpc)

Last edited:
if it's a bari mouthpiece then it's a keeper. I used to use an S90 190 until I switched to a Barone customized Yami 5c. Check the window facing against a tenor and bari mouthpiece. My mouthpieces are mostly packed right now, otherwise I'd check em out.

Ya man, that's definitely a bari piece. No question about it. I agree, valuable doorstop. IMHO the Yamaha 5c is a better piece, and for like $35 bucks, you can spend like $100 getting it cleaned up or whatever, and still come out cheaper than a new Selmer, which most often needs some kind of work. Play it a bit, if you don't like it, it will go rather quick on ebay.

Play it a bit, if you don't like it, it will go rather quick on ebay.
The problem is the bari sax itself, or rather the lack thereof. No way I'm gonna buy a bari, the missus would show me the door, or kill me, or leave me for an insurance broker who knows zip about wind instruments.

eBay it is then, unless someone from here wants it, in which case you can PM me.

(my apologies if there are insurance brokers in the audience)

The problem is the bari sax itself, or rather the lack thereof. No way I'm gonna buy a bari, the missus would show me the door, or kill me, or leave me for an insurance broker who knows zip about wind instruments.
I suggest you buy a brand new bari in a coffin case. The case will fit the the missus and probably make it safely to the bottom of Lake Geneva. Then you get a BAM case and live happily ever after. I have been married now for nine months. In this time my wife has only bought me one saxophone. I have come to the conclusion that the longer life expectancy for married men isn't worth the countless downsides of marriage. If you had known the day you proposed that a baritone saxophone mouthpiece unintentionally included in a $90 ebay purchase would cause you marital problems, would you still have popped the question?

If you had known the day you proposed that a baritone saxophone mouthpiece unintentionally included in a $90 ebay purchase would cause you marital problems, would you still have popped the question?
Oh, if a mouthpiece would cause marital problems, then it'd be a rather shaky institution, that marriage, don't you think?
Besides, I'd rather have a contra-alto or a paperclip bass clarinet. :cool:

Last edited:
I haven't tried the S90 for bari but I've tried S90 190 for alto and it was excellent. Not at all the one I would choose to play but really it was one of the best mouthpieces I've tried for fucos and response (at least that particular one).

The length doesn't necessarily matter much, it could just be the part that goes over the cork that is longer and then, depending on the mouthpiece, you might have to insert it a mm or two more or less.

Oh, if a mouthpiece would cause marital problems, that it'd be a rather shaky institution, that marriage, don't you think?
Besides, I'd rather have a contra-alto or a paperclip bass clarinet. :cool:
I appreciate the advice. When the time comes and I need an excuse, I will find a better one than to pick a fight over a bari mouthpiece. On a more serious note, I think marriage is a shaky institution (not for personal reasons) but this is probably not the place to have such a discussion.

Sorry, Gandalfe. The second part should never have been posted. I was merely testing the waters but it failed. I don't think it was the money. Rather the fact that a one bedroom apartment is a rather small place for a bass sax.

Last edited:
I played on one of these for some time before moving to a vintage Soloist. I like them a lot more than the S80.

Back
Top Bottom