Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

c kruspe erfurt clarinets

Dear forum members,
I received a nice German clarinet, a Klingson type from Hammerschmidt. The layout of the tone holes and keys is very similar to that of the photos in this thread.
I have never played clarinet before, but would like to try it.
My question: on the photos of the upper part , 3 long keys are shown at the bottom.
Two of these are for E flat and F respectively
What is the function of the very longest?
I have a fingering chart for the German clarinet but cannot find the use of this one.

No picture? Anyway, please consider taking at least on lesson. You will learn so much and find out what learning resources are available for you. If I understand your question, you mean the three long keys at the middle of the instrument that you play with your left-hand pinky, right? The note played when those keys are used are different depending upon whether you are in the chalumeau or clarion range of your instrument. And they work in tandem with the keys played by the right-hand pinky, duplicating them so that you don't have to slide the the keys sloppily to get a nice scale.

YouTube can help, check out this video for example:

Thank you Gandalve.. I realize my question was incomplete.
I 'll try to add a picture.
It concerns the upper half of the instrument.
I suppose the 3 keys are to be touched by the upper part of the right hand forefinger.
The longest key depressed opens the tonehole near to the barrel, and at the same time depresses the middle (F ) key, opening the F 1 tonehole., all in chalumeau register.
If this (longest) key is depressed together with the lefthand tumbhole closed, it sounds to me like a A 1., more or less the same as if done with the A 1 key. But, as said , I am completely new to the clarinet.

Attachments

• 20181215_184854.jpg
    20181215_184854.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 340
Trill from throat Bb to C, use it in combination with the normal throat Bb fingering!
(also this would be better as a separate thread)
+1 to what Gandalfe said about taking lessons, also!
My Conn Albert in C has 4 keys there actually, same functionality as a Boehm for them other than the F# key is for F natural.

Last edited:
I don't think any of my clarinets at all actually have a wooden mouthpiece cap-even my oldest ones either didn't have a cap with them when I bought them or had a metal one!
I tend to not talk about mouthpieces much because ...

* On Bb soprano clarinet, I tested a few and ended up with a Selmer C85/120 and I haven't even desired to look at a different one.
* Most of the time I was playing bari sax, I was using a Sigurd Rascher because that's what my teachers wanted me to use.
* I tried a bunch of mouthpieces for jazz on the bari and ended up with a Berg Larsen hard rubber 110/0. Again, it suited me just fine and I had no desire to get another.
* On the Conn bass sax I played, the mouthpiece was cracked and my Rascher was about the same size. The horn was also a limited-time loaner.
* On the odd horns I played, Bb contra clarinet, Eb soprano clarinet, C melody tenor sax, Bb soprano sax, and Bb bass clarinet, I just used what came with the horn. I knew I wasn't going to buy one of these horns, except the C tenor and Bb soprano, much less use one when I was in college.

All that being said, I've had a few wooden clarinet and saxophone mouthpieces go through my hands. Never a wooden cap. I know that there are some companies -- I think our Steve does, too -- that make wooden caps for the neck receiver, but I haven't seen wooden mouthpiece caps.

Back
Top Bottom