Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Can you identify this Noblet?

Hi all, I just found this forum and I'm thrilled. :-D I have 2 kids who each play an instrument... I love to browse the forums to learn about their instruments, care... and lots of other great information. (I've been a member of a trumpet forum for a couple of years as well.)

So I'm hoping you can shed some light on the Noblet I just purchased. I've been to Clarinet Perfection (excellent site!) and got some great info, but no emblems identical to the one I have. The clarinet is all wood, is stamped MADE IN FRANCE and the Serial # 2530 and the emblem is oval with what looks to me like a harp at the top, D.NOBLET PARIS inside the oval, and the DN at the bottom. On Clarinet Perfection, Models 7165 and 340 each show serial #'s that fall within this range and would be from 1967 or 1975, but there are no pics for these models so I'm still unsure. I originally thought it would be a 40 or 45 but now I just don't know. Can you identify it...and do you know if it's student/intermediate or pro?

Have a great day! Sandy

Last edited:
ok. I don't have an emblem that exactly matches that one due to the newer music lyre on top but it is a Model 40 with the oval emblem.

The model 40 oval emblem i have on the site is an earlier version.
Guess I'll add a newer version there too.

I'm having problems with Flickr so I can't really see the other pics

the serial number is perplexing though but I've seen other oddities where the sn# does not fit the list. The lists were gotten from Leblanc USA a couple years before they were bought by Selmer USA. And they were faxed to me from an insider .. if you had spoken to someone on the phone they would not have existed !!

So it looks to be a later model 40 from the mid to late 1960s. I would like to see other pics of it though .. or maybe they are there as when i run Flickr I get stack overflolws

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it. I've also found Clarinet Perfection to be very informative. I'll try posting the pics again, perhaps I'll get it 2nd time around! You're welcome to use them on the site if you'd like. I'm glad the clarinet is what I thought it was.
BTW... is the emblem supposed to be GREEN... ?!? :emoji_astonished:

4103134609_3b337cf128.jpg

4103135661_f828e2d875.jpg

4103136787_6db9c341ae.jpg

BTW... is the emblem supposed to be GREEN... ?!? :emoji_astonished:

Probably started out life as gold / copper, and a life of oil and oxidisation has turned it green.

You can restore it is you want to, by VERY carefully picking out the impression with a needle and rubbing gold wax over it, and then rubbing excess wax off leaving wax in the impression. Wax will also get into the grain if the grain is not tight, so beware. It can be picked out of the grain if necessary with the pin again.

An example:

Couesnonlogobeforecompressed.jpg

Couesnonlogoaftercompressed.jpg

Gandalfe

Thanks, it is a very satisfying job.

It is not particularly painstaking, though. The tricky bit is accurately and carefully running a needle through the stamp. The old wax just scrapes out.

You then scribble over the stamp like a 3 year old covering the area, and then wipe the surface scribble off with a cloth, leaving, the stamp filled with wax.

5 minutes per logo, tops. It does need a good intended stamp to do it successfully, though.

My E&S soprano clarinet was trickier and not work so well, as the embossing was not so deep.

IMG_3644comp.jpg
EandSlogo.jpg

Chris, those look amazing!! I'm going to have to do it - since I'm going through the rest of the horn anyhow, looks like the perfect finishing touch. Thanks for the inspiration!

The grain looks finer on the Couesons than on the other close ups.

I agree
Though it is not that the grain on the E&S is particularly open (and I really like the unstained look), but the wood in the Couesnon Monopoles is just fantastic.

Chris

when I used the wax based guilding products (including the crayons) I used to put it under a heat lamp to make it set into the emblem better. It increased it's longevity.

Now I used a high end professinoal guilding products not based on wax and it requires a much more prep but lasts a very long time compared to wax. I can also do several shades of gold or silver.

I also provide a service where I can recut emblems that are shallow or even partially wiped out.

Chris, those look amazing!! I'm going to have to do it - since I'm going through the rest of the horn anyhow, looks like the perfect finishing touch. Thanks for the inspiration!

Have a go!

I use a product like this:
http://www.liberon.com.au/index.php?act=products&cat=6&prod=99
There are a variety of shades of gold

And just use the stick like a crayon, rubbing in circular motion over the emblem. Then to wipe the excess off, rub towards the centre of the emblem, with a force that you think will push the wax further in.

If it is going for a service, and the surface and bore is oiled, then there is less chance of wax going in the grain if you do this after it has been treated.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom