Cannonball Adderley

Ball was from the deep south. I see it in how he reacts to the music and the grove while he's watching Nat solo. Plus, I think that "Work Song" is a variation of the old, almost obsolete, eight bar blues. Man, you could get some real soulful milage out of the eight bar blues. So "Work Song" is a sixteen bar blues, which would seem to me to be a variation of the eight bar form. The tune they play as a tag to close this show seems to have a sixteen bar outside with a little eight bar bridge turnback. Like a little variation of "Unit 7", but different. The blues, with a kind of southern vibe to it. Just beautiful.

I used to see this band when they played at a little art gallery near my town. And I checked them out in "65 or '66 when he had Charles LLoyd playing tenor. They were incredible!

Ball was from the deep south. I see it in how he reacts to the music and the grove while he's watching Nat solo. Plus, I think that "Work Song" is a variation of the old, almost obsolete, eight bar blues. Man, you could get some real soulful milage out of the eight bar blues. So "Work Song" is a sixteen bar blues, which would seem to me to be a variation of the eight bar form. The tune they play as a tag to close this show seems to have a sixteen bar outside with a little eight bar bridge turnback. Like a little variation of "Unit 7", but different. The blues, with a kind of southern vibe to it. Just beautiful.

I used to see this band when they played at a little art gallery near my town. And I checked them out in "65 or '66 when he had Charles LLoyd playing tenor. They were incredible!
So who do see now-a-days? Any groups destined to become classics?

So who do see now-a-days? Any groups destined to become classics?

No. There really aren't any bands working today. Ball, Nat, Sam Jones, and Louis Hayes worked together from around '60, till around '67, '68? Zawnul was there for most of that time, I believe, as was Yusef Lateef. So that was a band. There were no subs, unless someone was very sick and couldn't make the bandstand that night. Miles used the same personel for many years, Dave Brubeck had the same cats, these were bands. So they played their way into immortality one night at a time over the course of many years. But today, as soon as the tour is over, everybody is scrambling for the next job, including the bandleader.

Things are different today. No more six night a week gigs thirty six weeks a year.

Does Phil Woods pretty much play with the same core of guys? He's the only exception I can think of at this point. Like SideC says it seems like everyone is just scrambling.

Ed, Phil is one of the survivors, in my opinion. He's been a great classic for years, so I don't see him in the 'destined to become a classic' status.

I haven't seen Phil for a few years, so I don't know for sure who he's using in his band. But I'm sure that he has no problem pulling the same personel when he gigs. But when you're dealing with the legendary names like Phil, Sonny Rollins, Lou Donaldson, Dave Brubeck, Benny Golson, and the rest, you have to deal with the fact that these people are way up in age. Performing every night, and the travel involved is very strenuous. So we're not talking about the constant touring that I mentioned in my other post. Maybe ten or twelve weeks a year, maybe more, but not a whole lot more. So has a sideperson, you have to have other things to fill the other thirty plus weeks that remain in the year.

Back
Top Bottom