Case For 1930 Selmer Alto

Now to hijack my own thread... ;-)...

I have my personal 6M that I just dropped off today with my tech that needs a new case. It of course has left-sided bell keys as well. Does anyone know what kind of case fits for it? Other than the standard ones available through Allied? BTW, we checked into those this morning, and there are 2 from Allied that would work. One is their rectangular case, and the other is their contoured case. I was hoping for more suggestions. Anyone got any?

I just yesterday put my LH bell key Olds Super in it's protec stonewood series case.

stock photo:
71QC0GZNZbL._SL1200_.jpg

Fit is snug, but the pad on the bottom has enough give to it that the case closes firmly. I think with some time it will be just a snug fit. I could easily modify the pad, bit I think it will compress nicely.

My complaint with the case is total lack of storage for anything other than the neck and mouthpiece. The Olds is pristine and I do not want to be storing anything in the bell.

Carl, I use a padded bell sack (think padded sock) in all my cases for tuners reeds, extra mouthpieces, neck straps... Well you get the picture. Nothing travels as nice as a contoured case. YMMV.

I have a couple different varieties of those. I like the neotech one, and the Barone one lives in one of my tenors.

This sax is too nice to have anything jammed down it. Gold wash is 100%.

I just yesterday put my LH bell key Olds Super in it's protec stonewood series case.

My complaint with the case is total lack of storage for anything other than the neck and mouthpiece.

I didn't know that Protec made this type of case. Interesting... At least it has room for the neck and mouthpiece.

I really quite like the shape of the Allied contoured case, but it doesn't have any room for anything other than the horn. It comes with a bag for the neck. That doesn't impress me all that much. And the price they charge, puts it in the price category of SKB cases, which I suspect might be more protective. Or maybe not... But at least the SKB have storage on the outside nowadays...

I didn't know that Protec made this type of case. Interesting... At least it has room for the neck and mouthpiece.

I really quite like the shape of the Allied contoured case, but it doesn't have any room for anything other than the horn. It comes with a bag for the neck. That doesn't impress me all that much. And the price they charge, puts it in the price category of SKB cases, which I suspect might be more protective. Or maybe not... But at least the SKB have storage on the outside nowadays...

I like the looks of the case and it is well built. I bought it because it looked like the most appropriate case for a vintage instrument. It does what it does well, but it severely lacks in storage. I'd hate to have to slap a synthetic on the mouthpiece and leave it there. And I still have no idea where I'll be putting the neckstrap. The sax is so nice I do not want to put the first scratch on it while it is in the case.

I should mention, when I shipped it in for an overhaul, I used a standard shaped protec case and it fit in it just fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom