O-L
H1644

hand engraved on the side. It is in a tube marked with a gold foil label:

ARTIST QUALITY
BAY-GALE MOUTHPIECES
FOR CLARINET AND SAXOPHONE
CUSTOM - MADE BY
CHARLES BAY

I slapped a reed on it ind it plays quite nicely, if a bit mellow for my tastes. It belongs to a friend and he wants to know what there is to know about it.

The original price sticker on the tube is for $40.00 - hand written. The cork is good, engraving sharp and fully colored - white. It has been played, but it is not chewed on at all, and a disreputable dealer could buff this and sell it as new - vintage. Facing is clean with no nicks or other marks.

What do the engraved markings mean, and how much might this be worth?

Last edited:
O-L
H1644

hand engraved on the side. It is in a tube marked with a gold foil label:

The original price sticker on the tube is for $40.00 - hand written. The cork is good, engraving sharp and fully colored - white. It has been played, but it is not chewed on at all, and a disreputable dealer could buff this and sell it as new - vintage. Facing is clean with no nicks or other marks.

What do the engraved markings mean, and how much might this be worth?

Not sure on the value, though I'd give you double the sticker price sight unseen!

O - open tip
L - long facing curve.

You'll see a lot of Bay clarinet mouthpieces marked "MOM" - that's Medium Open tip, medium facing curve.

Almost everything I've ever tried by Bay is great. I have one of his clarinet ligs on my setup at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom