Chicago!

Merlin

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
Got an interesting call today. A contractor looking for woodwind players to play a touring production of Chicago...in Thunder Bay ON!

For those of you keeping track, it's a mere 884 miles from Stratford, where I live. (Still in the same province, though.)

Ed is actually 200 miles closer to the gig than I am.

If the gig comes through, it includes the round-trip flight from Toronto, and hotel. I'd fly in on a Thursday, rehearse Friday aft, shows Fri/Sat/Sun evenings, then fly back on the Monday morning.

Do your horns get to fly in their own seats? Or do they have to fly cargo? :)

Good point. Which book?

I've been to Thunder Bay!

ps. Carl, where you been. You've been missed.

So seriously, do you put the instruments in the luggage hold? I have to get a tenor to New Orleans for a gig in July and I'm dreading it. Suzy gets off easy with a clarinet.

Depends on how big a plane it is.

I'm playing alto/soprano/clarinet/picc. I've never had a problem carrying on that stuff before. I'm inclined to use it as an excuse to get a Pro-tec triple case for the alto/clarinet/picc, and just have the sop in hand.

Alternately, I'd pack my clarinet and sop in a large suitcase, surrounded by my clothes.

I have to get a tenor to New Orleans for a gig in July and I'm dreading it.
A VGV case is as compact as it gets with some protection. I have managed to travel to Europe and back several times without problems. Don't know about domestic.

I think you might still be able to carry a tenor on.

From my AFM feedback, it largely depends on the airline. Some will store a tenor in the "garment bag" area without a problem, but others will insist on the cargo hold or upon a second seat. You takes yer chances...

I fly in one of these every time I go to Wichita. A yamaha sop case fits in the overhead. If you're lucky, they'll put your instruments in their closet, like they did with a fellow flyer's violin and my alto last Xmas.

Anything larger, and it's gate check.

So you were able to carry the tenor sax on. I know, I should call the carrier.
Pretty much any carrier to Europe other than British Airways (excellent in respects but not this one). I do fly mainly off-season, not on weekends, and international. All of which may contribute to not having had problems in the past but the airlines are obviously constantly changing (for the worse in the past several years). The reason I mentioned the VGV case (or something similar) is that is really does fake size contrary to Walt Johnson's and Hiscox's etc.

Last edited:
Here's what Air Canada flies between Toronto and Thunder Bay:

http://www.crj.bombardier.com/CRJ/en/home.jsp

Merlin, the CRJ's have very little room for storage. I've had problems with Air Canada at TO with my alto. (I didn't have other horns with me at the time.) I ended up having to do a gate check with it the last time I flew with the sax. Before then, I was able to convince them to put it in one of the upright storage closets.

With the straight soprano, if Air Canada wants to be picky, it too is too long, and won't meet the requirements of "carry on" baggage.

What applies in both of these cases, pardon the pun, is Air Canada's violin policy. You should go to an Air Canada office, and get them to look it up, and print up a copy for you. Also, ask them if there is a limit to the number of instruments you can carry on under this violin policy.

I have a copy from the last time I flew with my horn, so I'll have to dig it out. When I find it, I'll post the policy number here for you. That might help the AC staff look it up faster.

The trick is to have a copy of the policy with you, should you encounter an agent that is refusing to allow you to board with the instrument. I was told this by one very helpful Air Canada employee at the Fredericton Airport, who got to know me, and knew that I traveled with my horns extensively.

Just a thought...It might be easier, and less stressful, for you to leave your saxes in place once you get to Thunder Bay.

Merlin, the CRJ's have very little room for storage. I've had problems with Air Canada at TO with my alto. (I didn't have other horns with me at the time.) I ended up having to do a gate check with it the last time I flew with the sax. Before then, I was able to convince them to put it in one of the upright storage closets.

With the straight soprano, if Air Canada wants to be picky, it too is too long, and won't meet the requirements of "carry on" baggage.

What applies in both of these cases, pardon the pun, is Air Canada's violin policy. You should go to an Air Canada office, and get them to look it up, and print up a copy for you. Also, ask them if there is a limit to the number of instruments you can carry on under this violin policy.

I have a copy from the last time I flew with my horn, so I'll have to dig it out. When I find it, I'll post the policy number here for you. That might help the AC staff look it up faster.

The trick is to have a copy of the policy with you, should you encounter an agent that is refusing to allow you to board with the instrument. I was told this by one very helpful Air Canada employee at the Fredericton Airport, who got to know me, and knew that I traveled with my horns extensively.

Just a thought...It might be easier, and less stressful, for you to leave your saxes in place once you get to Thunder Bay.

I'd have no problem with my horns going in the cargo hold - as long as I can walk them in there myself. I'm phoning AC tomorrow, and making sure that between talking to them and talking to the contractor that I get my stuff taken care of properly without being out of pocket.

I'd have no problem with my horns going in the cargo hold - as long as I can walk them in there myself. I'm phoning AC tomorrow, and making sure that between talking to them and talking to the contractor that I get my stuff taken care of properly without being out of pocket.
I feel the same way. I have a way sturdy Walt Johnson tenor case which as a consequence is gawd-awful heavy. But the way some baggage handlers treat luggage I don't think it'd be safe enough.

Back
Top Bottom