Clarinet ID please

Given the double register key mechanism on the neck, I'm inclined to say it's most likely a Kohlert. DS would be the best person to ask.

'nother vote for the Kohlert.

I don't think DS has already made his appearance in here. I'll lure him in...

Edit: Oops, he has been here, but hasn't posted yet.

Last edited:
Another "clew" is the way the register key mechanism it taken off of the A key. Similar to every Kohlert that I've ever smelled. (Most of the ones that I've seen have been real stinkers, for some reason.)

Kohlert bass clarinet register mechanisms (TMI)

Not to nitpick, Terry, but most double-register-vent bass clarinets (not just Kohlert by any means) take an 'input' off the throat "A" key for the register mechanism --- that's what diferentiates between a register key operation and a 'pinch' throat-Bb operation. Besides, later Kohlerts (e.g. the Winnenden models) have a much different mechanism for this than the prewar Kohlert in question.

Whatevuh!

I know that, but the old Kohlert horns of my acquaintance all had the lever off of the hand side of the joint, as shown in the photos. That was my point there.

(Having a double register key that worked without some means of taking input into the system from the A key would be impossible, at least as far as I can see.)

Back
Top Bottom