Clarinet Reed issue

I'm currently playing an E11 with a B45 mouthpiece and a size 3 Vandoren reed. My band director believes all the clarinets should be playing on a Vandoren 3.5. I've bought several boxes of 3.5s and none of the boxes seem to work well on my instrument. The sound is really airy and it takes a HUGE breath just to play through a measure. I can't seem to break them in, no matter how hard I try. I've even soaked them in water for several hours but none of it seems to work well. I've tried it on the same mouthpiece but with my plastic Vito clarinet I keep for marching season. Still the same problem. I read somewhere that the reed size actually depends on the mouthpiece. Is this true? I told my band director about my issue and he suggested wheedling the 3.5s down. He talked about bumping up to a size 4, too, thinking my mouthpiece might be rejecting half-sizes. What's your opinion on this? I could really use the advice - thanks!!

My band director believes all the clarinets should be playing on a Vandoren 3.5.
I'd be willing to bet he's not a clarinet player.

Most students start out on a 2 or 2.5 Rico reed, because those are generally hard enough for a beginner and Rico reeds are generally the cheapest you can find. I liked Vandoren reeds a lot, but they generally run harder than other manufacturers' reeds and are more expensive than most other brands.

There is no law posted someplace that says that the further you progress in your clarinet career, the harder reed you have to play. That'd mean that some of the folks here would be playing with a 2"x4" or a brick. The strength of reed you use is going to be based on you and what your clarinet instructor says ... provided he's an actual clarinet player and not some trumpet player that happens to know a thing or three about clarinets. Note that Benny Goodman used 2s and 1.5s. He had a pretty decent career :).

I've played Vandoren B40 and B45 mouthpieces. They don't "reject" reeds of any strength. It just sounds like you're just using too hard of a reed. There's also the possibility of a mechanical issue with your clarinet. (Also, if you've got a big crack in your mouthpiece or your ligature's not placed properly or it's broken, you'll have problems.)

My recommendation is to a) find a real clarinet instructor and b) try a softer reed.

You are indeed correct - he does NOT play clarinet. He's a trumpet player, actually. In my honest opinion, he's pretty dim-witted. It's his first job and he has only been here for a few years. Thanks for the advice!!

You are indeed correct - he does NOT play clarinet. He's a trumpet player, actually.
I was actually right on both counts. I'm psychotic.

Thanks for the advice!!
You're welcome.

In my honest opinion, he's pretty dim-witted. It's his first job and he has only been here for a few years.
Just remember that he's an awful lot more experience than you and he's had more schooling, too. He also beat out probably at least a hundred folks for applying for the job, so there's that, too. In other words, question authority -- but realize there's a reason for the authority :).

Back
Top Bottom