Clarinet Sounds Airy

My clarinet sounds a bit airy when is play lower notes or higher notes(middle notes like open G is fine). How can I prevent this? Is it something to do with leaking air? Thanks

A lot more information is required to give an accurate diagnosis and make suggestions. For example: the age and condition of the clarinet, the brand and model of mouthpiece, the brand and strength of reed, etc.

I can suggest as a starting point that you play just the mouthpiece and barrel apart from the clarinet. I call this the "tone producer". Play at your loudest level on the tone producer using lots of air and set your embouchure to produce the note F# Concert. Once you can sustain this note as a loud, clear, and steady tone then play the entire clarinet with this airstream and embouchure.

If you're just starting out, also make sure that the tip of your reed is aligned with the tip of your mouthpiece. Too high or too low can not only affect the quality of your tone but how much effort you need to put into blowing. Also make sure you are fully covering holes but at the same time not accidentally opening any side keys.

Ok here's some more info:
The clarinet brand and model-----Buffet E13
The mouthpiece brand and model-----Backun MOBA mouthpiece
Clarinet age and condition-----about one years old, in good condition
Reed info(brand, strength etc.)-----Bari Star synthetic reeds. Strength-medium soft(but seems to be a little hard)

i usually play on 3's with no difficulty, but the medium soft was a little bit hard. I tried playing only on the mouthpiece and barrel. I can get steady doing that, but when I played on the entire clarinet, still a bit airy.

More info

Also, the airy sound comes from the mouthpiece.

Ok here's some more info:
The clarinet brand and model-----Buffet E13
The mouthpiece brand and model-----Backun MOBA mouthpiece
Clarinet age and condition-----about one years old, in good condition
Reed info(brand, strength etc.)-----Bari Star synthetic reeds. Strength-medium soft(but seems to be a little hard)

i usually play on 3's with no difficulty, but the medium soft was a little bit hard. I tried playing only on the mouthpiece and barrel. I can get steady doing that, but when I played on the entire clarinet, still a bit airy.

Get a decent cane reed. If you insist on playing synthetic, go with a Legere Signature. I've never heard a really good sound on any horn with a Bari synthetic.

Yes, when I play on cane reeds, the sound was good. The reason I switched to synthetic reeds is because it last longer so i can practise on it often without wearing it out. Also im not intending to use it the perform anything, just practise. Anyways, i got legere(which i already knew, but i didnt got it because it was more expensive). Legere was definitely better.
thanks

I would only use synthetic reeds when doubling - especially if your clarinet is sitting around for a while so you can just pick up and play. You sacrifice some tone quality but it's better than warpage and nasty high pitched squeaks that result. I agree with Merlin - keep using good cane reeds. I used both Legere synthetic and Bari synthetic on my bass clarinet for doubling. The Bari didn't look balanced properly from the moment I tried it and was actually very inconsistent. Legere is the way to go for synthetic.

Back
Top Bottom