Columbus Symphony Orchestra facing record deficits and more

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
We many times lament how hard it is for a jazz musician to make a living these days. It's a shame when regional orchestras are having the same kind of issues. For some reason Americans don't really support the arts the way that people in Europe do. Public funding is harder to get and harder to maintain. A lot of times it comes down to regular people like most of us in the Woodwind Forum to make a difference.

---------------

If the Columbus Symphony -- facing a $1.5 million deficit after a record deficit of $2.2 million the previous season -- were cut from 53 to 31 full-time players and its number of performances were reduced, the lives of musicians would change.

Some could continue as full-time players, while others might be engaged on a per-concert basis only.

The downsizing proposal by the symphony board and management will be discussed between now and the end of August, when the musicians' contract expires.

Read the rest of the article: http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/co ... ml’sid=101

I like to view it as an opportunity for us to do better. If we could move beyond "no child left behind" and develop a curriculum that really give our children a well rounded educations we would all be better off.

This is only the tip of the iceberg regarding symphonic work. International Musician (the AFM monthly newsletter is full of information, both good and bad, about these organizations, and sadly the news is mostly bad. Putting aside Columbus OH, which is a marginal market for a full time, paid organization (and probably only a little less marginal for a half volunteer one), consider San Diego CA and San Antonio TX.

Both cities are on the "just under Chicago" large size. Lots of people, with an even mix of low, middle and upper class folks. (San Antonio has a "stealth" upper class that only shows itself in the society pages during the annual Fiesta, when the papers are overflowing with participants with German surnames - after it is done they go back into hiding for another twelve months.) Both have historically had trouble maintaining a symphonic operation, despite multiple attempts to do so. I have lost count of the number of times that San Diego has gone under (four or more), and San Antonio is just about as bad. While San Antonio is not a garden spot, San Diego is (and has a sizable number of corporate headquarters to boot). Yet, they cannot (or will not) support an orchestra on a viable basis.

And, even if you do land a "full time" position with a group, it's likely that you'll not be living very high on the hog. In this month's issue, there are ads for positions with Louisville (circa $53,000, with two weeks vacation and major medical insurance (note emphasis)) and Milwaukee (assistant principal violist, $66,000 minimum). While these are certainly living wages (and, in the case of Milwaukee, might pay more to a current member winning the audition), I'd not consider them as being overly generous (and certainly not with a family to support in a middle class lifestyle). My guess is that the winners of both will still be hustling private students on the side just to aspire to the kind of lifestyle that most classical folks want to enjoy.

There was a time when any "big" city or city with an established orchestra (Pittsburgh, Saint Louis) was able to keep the organization going without trouble. Sadly (for violin players), those days are gone, this in a climate of corporate mergers and cost cutting to bring the profit levels up. Saint Louis has had troubles in the past, and Houston (located in a city that is flush with billionaires and millionaires) has had similar problems. Pittsburgh, a city with a shrinking population and departing "rust belt" industries, has had some rumblings of difficulties, although I think they are still solvent.

Like it or not, the "good" days are long past, and we are entering into a long dry spell with little relief in sight. A good deal of the attendance at any of these organizations is part of a greying cohort of the population, and while youth programs may bring in some younger ears, the general trend is towards dwindling numbers. This reflects a shrinking audience, but it also reflects changing trends in music "appreciation" as well.

We have this bizarre event here every February called the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. While the goat roping, yee-ha activities are still there (and are attended by a large audience of mostly rural folks), the "big events" at the "Show" are the concerts. For two solid weeks, every night sees a different rock, country, Tejano, soul or R & B group, and they generally play to sell-out, football stadium sized crowds. Worst than that, the extreme ticket prices that are paid are for canned, "lip-sync'ed" performances (they all do it) get you a worse than a CD player performance in the bargain.

This same metropolitan area has a relatively good symphonic orchestra (when they are on their game), one which often attracts audiences in the low hundreds and seldom has a sell out unless there is some pop headline appearing with them. And, the ultimate highest ticket prices there are about an order of magnitude less than the cheapest seats at the Livestock Show events.

Aside from the attractiveness of the "acts" (what you can see of them), you don't have to get dressed up to go to the Livestock Show (although there are many who wear quite expensive "rodeo wear" when they attend), you can buy beer and funnel cakes at the Livestock Show, and the mood is (in general) more upbeat (with most symphonic concerts being about as bright as a Russian funeral in overall mood and tone).

And, don't take me as a classical (or, more properly, "art music") hater. I love the stuff, and have a huge CD collection of my favorites. But, I've not been to a classical concert in many years, preferring instead to own nigh on perfect performances that I can enjoy again and again to being stuffed in a tight seat with a coughing old woman next to me for four hours (and a possible parking ticket at the end if my luck is running bad).

A combination of the elitism of the classical music world with the pricing of the finished product (over 80% of all their expenses are for personnel costs, even when they don't pay all that well) is what is doing them in, and they're welcome to continue it as long as they can stand it. Most people have given up on them, and have moved on, and (push comes to shove) they ain't coming back. A pity, but certainly a better picture than the jazz and opera scenes.

I can go on about this and other areas of musician/music "supply and demand" issues for hours, but most (alas) never want to discuss this stuff until it is too late. There are huge populations of people who are pretty good at what they do but who cannot do it for performance "for pay" even though they are not trained to do much of anything else. Those populations support both the marginal (as in "They can perform, but only earn a pittance for doing so" and the semi-pro (as in "They get paid pretty well for working for four hours, but the jobs just aren't there to do it three nights a week"), which in turn support the full-time music professionals. As an opening occurs in an upper tier, there are instantly twenty available from below to fill it. And, all the while, the American educational system is churning out thousands of very good musicians in all genres each and every year, all who face fewer and fewer opportunities in the future.

Mozart (or, as most of you call him, "Moat-zart") never attended a day of formal music education in his life, yet he did just fine. It is possible to be a very good sax, clarinet or trumpet player yet never have a day of higher music education in your life, (Trombone players obviously do not fit this mold, and need all the help that they can get.) Love music all you want, but get an education in some other field and play on the side for fun (and money). You'll be happier and healthier and richer in the bargain.

Of course, no one ever listens. A pity, but what can you do?

Pay a decent publicist $100,000 a year to bring in millions in support and audiences. So what if Kenny G or Rick Braun is going to play only two songs--the audience will come. Maybe we pull in a local performer to be the draw. We adapt.

And I'm not sure oldsters like us are the market to be aiming for. How do we make classical music interesting to a new generation of listeners? We figure out how to make Rap work with Mozart. No really. :emoji_rage:

FWIW, the symphony orchestras that are in the "small" cities around me (Mesa, Scottsdale, Glendale -- I think Tempe has one, but I haven't heard them) kinda ... aren't that great (no offense to any players in the groups if they start posting here. I'll swear it was your brass players and string players). I'd prefer a CD. I've heard the Phoenix Symphony once or twice and they're good ... but they're also 30 miles away from me, most of the time.

My job allows me to get a lot of free tickets to musical events and I can say most of them are sold out. Yes, not all are strictly classical, but the majority are. Hey, Lord of the Dance was SRO -- and it wasn't even Michael Flatley. I do think, tho, that havening a headliner helps -- and I've heard stories about that on National Public Radio and similar.

And $53,000 to $66,000 would be a significant raise for me. I'd LOVE the opportunity to make that just for playing. However, I'm not worth that, as a player. I wasn't even when I was playing 7+ hours a day :).

The Detroit Symphony Orchestra up here has gone through many iterations of itself through financial problems. The good thing is that they are not just "Bach, Moat-zart" players only. They play a wide variety of music including jazz(ish) repertoire including their DS Civic Jazz Orchestra

They also try to play music for all ages and varied venues. I guess they've learned how to survive better than normal.

Here's an excerpt from their website
The Detroit Symphony Orchestra is heard live by over 450,000 people annually in classical, pops, jazz, holiday festival, educational, Young People’s concerts and more. Additionally, over one million listeners nationwide hear the DSO each week on the GM/DSO National Radio Broadcast Series, making it the most widely heard orchestra in the country.

Activities of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra are made possible in part with the support of the National Endowment for the Arts, the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs and the city of Detroit. The Detroit Symphony Orchestra is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution.

Yeah, but...

I don't doubt the viability of the first and second tier orchestras (first including Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland, San Francisco, Chicago and maybe Saint Louis, second including Pittsburgh, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, maybe Saint Louis, Los Angeles and one or two others), although (as you and I both pointed out) some of these have had problems.

Where I see the problems is in the vast tracts of land out there in "flyover America" that don't host one of these groups. Florida is chock full of people (albeit relatively tight people), and it tries to support two such orchestras, with a varying degree of success. San Diego I have already alluded to, as well as San Antonio. Others can offer other instances as well.

Push comes to shove, the main expense for a symphony is in its personnel costs. Don't pay people anything or very much, and you can muster a group of musicians that, in effect, give you what you pay for. I've played in these groups, often with others who worked for other "marginal" orchestras within a hundred mile radius, and the overall quality can be spotty indeed. The other expenses (management, rep, the hall and odds and ends) are minor compared to compensation. So, only pay something limited to the principals, and have the rest on a volunteer basis, and you'll get the situation described above (i.e., "not very good")

Push comes to shove, in any community you can often find a small group of enthusiasts who want to put on a dog show, start a fashion house, create an art museum, or found an orchestra. Nothing wrong with that as long as they are not pushing for economic viability. Once you start trying to put a "marginal" activity on a level footing, you change from something depending on the enthusiasm of a few to that relying on the economic support of many. Judge your potential audience wrong, and you go the route of San Diego, which should be offered as a cautionary tale to everyone trying to pull it off.

If you try to get the Federal support (tax dollars) that some think such efforts merit, you run the risk of having every Tom, Celine and Madonna also wanting to dip their fingers in the honey-pot. Good luck with that.

Back
Top Bottom