Comparable Gonzalez to a Vandoren V12 #4

I've used Vandoren V12 reeds since I was 13, and have never been satisfied with them. I've stuck with them mostly because I'm not very good at switching equipment and wanted to keep as many things as constant as possible. There was a period in high school when I switched to Gonzalez #4 for awhile, but soon (not soon enough, though!) realized that they were far too hard and went back to V12s.

I would like to give some Gonzalez FOF a try in the correct strength this time. I can't afford to buy more than one box of reeds in the wrong strength, though, so I need to nail it first or second try. Would a #3.5 or 3.25 be close to or a tiny bit softer than a V12 #4?

I'd think 3.5. Vandorens, in my experience, seem to be a lot harder than other reeds, across the entire range of instruments. So, if you thought a Vandoren 4 is a bit too hard, a 3.5 on anything else should be "about right".

dirty said:
I've used Vandoren V12 reeds since I was 13, and have never been satisfied with them. I've stuck with them mostly because I'm not very good at switching equipment and wanted to keep as many things as constant as possible. There was a period in high school when I switched to Gonzalez #4 for awhile, but soon (not soon enough, though!) realized that they were far too hard and went back to V12s.

I would like to give some Gonzalez FOF a try in the correct strength this time. I can't afford to buy more than one box of reeds in the wrong strength, though, so I need to nail it first or second try. Would a #3.5 or 3.25 be close to or a tiny bit softer than a V12 #4?

The FOF models are a thicker blank of cane then the RC models. So they tend to feel a little stronger. However, they are relatively the same thickness as the V12 (FOF: 3.2mm, V12: 3.15mm).

Most find the Gonzalez FOF models to run about .5 harder then most other reeds. So I would go with the FOF 3.5. You may also want to consider the Vandoren Rue Lepic 56 box at a 3.5

Dave great to have you here.

I loved your NAMM report.

welcome Mr. Kessler !!

The Vandoren V12 reeds are not normal reeds. They are soft and Vandoren recommends you go 1/2 strength harder than their normal reeds. So regular blue box 3.5 is comparable to a V12 4

I've read in the past, but fail to find it now, that the V12 were designed for long facing mouthpieces. I have several long facing mpcs and have not quite had a chance to buy the V12 to compare to the trunk full of purple box Vandorens I have and still use today.

So I would first recommend going to a Traditional 3.5 as a comparison

Back
Top Bottom