Complete Beginner

Hi all,

I am new here and am from London, UK - Currently living in York. I have just picked up a Clarinet and will be starting some lessons in the next couple of weeks. My girlfriend has been kind enough to lend me her Buffet B12 for as long as I require it so I can see how I get on with the instrument before spending money on my own. I'd like to ask a couple of questions if I may.

1. Is it normal to experience some soreness in your fingers and wrists when starting to learn the Clarinet? I've tried holding the instrument and played around with the keys a little and tried to blow an open G (which sounded like a bird was dying in my bedroom) but I found that I get a bit of pain in my hands.

2. Can anyone recommend a reed strength for a complete adult beginner? From reading a couple of pages I found on the internet I was thinking about a 2, maybe a 2.5?

Thanks,

Chris

Welcome Chris. Is this your first musical instrument? Regarding your questions:

1. Soreness is common in many new hobby ventures. You can get a strap for clarinets or just gut it out till you become accustomed to the instrument.

2. Most beginners start on a #2 reed as you've surmised.

Hello Gandalfe,

Thank you for the reply.

I played drums for a couple of years between the ages of 14-16 and the recorder for a couple when I was younger still so it's been a fair while since I played anything (I'm 30 this year). I'm glad that's the case and I thought that could be the norm. I'll probably just gut it out but I'm going to wait until I've had some lessons before I try to do too much with it (wouldn't want to develop any bad practices!) I will pick up some reeds tomorrow - I tried playing an open G with the reeds my girlfriend had left over but I don't think the Clarinet has been used for a few years or more. I produced a horrific screeching sound :D Definitely not what I was aiming for.

You also want to try to relax the wrists, hands, and fingers when you hold the clarinet. The RH thumb tends to get a bit sore holding the weight of the clarinet until a callous develops. Inserting a short piece of surgical tubing over the thumbrest helps. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom