Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Confusing buffet E11 clarinet serial number not found in lists.

Hi. Noob here, but I have read virtually everything there is online about Buffet clarinets. Information overload lol. Just beginning to play. I have a very perplexing serial number issue/question, and I have exhausted all my research abilities trying to answer it on my own. Please bear with my long post and help if you can.
My aunt just gifted me her Made in Germany E11 Bb clarinet with silver keys. Excellent shape. She bought it at a music store new in 2001. It plays nicely, given my beginner skills. Ok, I went to research the serial number, which I found stamped on both the upper joint (by the bottom) as well as on the lower joint (near the top). So both serial number listing are right above and below each other. They match. The stamped number is 750250 in both places. I entered this number at the Buffet website in their search tool, and when I hit search, the blank entry field returned, with no results. It didn't say "error," or "no results found;" it just redrew the same page, with a blank sn entry box. So I looked at a couple of serial number lists found with a Google search. These seemed to be identical to all the other serial number lists I came across, and they are on reputable clarinet websites,, and many people use those lists. However, I cannot find the serial number 750250 on any list. The numbers on any of the serial numbers don't even go near that high in the 6 digits on any of the lists. What could the issue be? Could this be a counterfeit Buffet E11? I found a resource listing things to look for in fake E11s (the tips given by an actual Buffet representative), and there are no red flags. It is beautifully made and crafted, finished well, and all the keys work smoothly. The stamp below the serial number on the lower joint says made in Germany. The keys are indeed silver, as they are a uniform dark grey from not having been polished with silver cleaner in a long time. It has a brown well-fitted hard case with a gold Buffet logo on it. It seems to have a great sound, too. But could it just be a beautifully made counterfeit? Please advise on how I can find out, where I can look, or who I can contact to figure it out. I am a great researcher and investigator, so I am really puzzled by finding a dead end. I am 54 and have just begun learning the clarinet, having only played the French horn in Jr high band for 2 yrs. I love it, and so far I love this instrument. Thanks so much for welcoming me into this community. I am eager to learn from all the members' experiences and knowledge. Cheers! Jason

Update: I emailed the US support office, told the person all my info, sent pics, and he confirmed that this clarinet is in fact an authentic Buffet e11, made in 2001. He said there were many gaps and inconsistencies in the serial number listing for intermediate instruments from years ago. Nice piece of info to learn.

The E11 was made in two locations, the Buffet factory in France and also by Schreiber in Germany. The German-made instruments are slightly different from the French-made instruments. The German made instruments have serial numbers assigned by Schreiber and do not appear on Buffet lists.

Thanks so much for your reply. This is a german-made e11 from 2001, and I assume made by Schreiber. That makes total sense about their different serial numbers being the reason my serial number is so different and out of the range of other ones. And since the Schreiber firm was separate from Buffet, I can see how their lists of serial numbers never made it into the database at Buffet. Great info to know.

Back
Top Bottom