Connecting a Mail service to your cell phone

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I have been using the Android Incredible (now obsolete?) for six months now and it was the first phone that did the Internet for me in a realistic and usable way. I'm waiting for my free Win7 phone when Verizon provides them. But I did learn something cool yesterday.

See, I have my hotmail working on the phone and just discovered that I could hook my my corporate Exchange account from Microsoft, where I work, by just typing in my email alias and password. Does anyone else remember how hard it used to be to hook email to your phone. It was a hideous experience with POP server and other IP info necessary that you had to figure out.

So I had put off for six months hooking up my Microsoft account info and thought that I might have to buy an app to run separately to do everything I needed. So far I have never paid for an app; there are so many great apps out there for free. Color me happy.

I've had corporate e-mail on my Crackberries for several years, now. Ah, the wonders of the BES!

A neat trick I learned the other day was to synchronize my various e-mail accounts with Opera for Windows, Mac and Linux. That was kewl and only took typing the paths to two directories (four to sync some other settings).

I've also played with Firefox Sync in 4.0 beta. It's kewl to have all your bookmarks on any computer.

I use delicious to house my bookmarks on the web.

I just got a verizon iPhone (yeah, I got a discount). I hate that you have to use itunes, but the retina display is very crisp, unlike the droid x that I looked at. It was easy to sync my email to it. I didn't even try on my old phone, because the display was wayyy too small.

The only app that I've paid for is irealbook. That was definitely worth it.

I have several personal accounts and my work email and calendar on my iTouch. One nice interface to access all the email accounts.

I can also access them on my Symbios OS phone but it is sloooooow and not as elligant as the iTouch. If the iPhone monthly charges drop by 50% or more than I would love to go that route .... but I doubt that will be anytime soon.

I've also had to set up several various Droids and iPhones for people.

Back
Top Bottom