Couesnon and Selmer sharing a common design heritage - Marcel Mule

Something interesting that I came across recently.

Buried in a transcription of an interview with Marcel Mule on the history of vibrato were details of his involvement with both Selmer and Couesnon sax design. MM describes how he played Selmer instruments until 1923, at which point he started working for Couesnon and he designed their instruments until 1948, when he went back to Selmer - where he would have had a role in designing the MkVI.

Obviously I am interested to hear that the Monopole II (conservatoire) designs that were produced after the 1940s (of which I have quite a few SATB instruments) had the same design influences as the Selmers of the 1950s.

Here is an excerpt:

M.M. I played the Selmer instrument in 1923. Afterwards, I played the Couesnon around 1928. The tester at Couesnon fell ill, it was Mayeur, a clarinettist who played saxophone for the ballets at the Opera. I was then engaged by Couesnon to replace him and as the instrument was not in good condition, I continued to play the Selmer instrument for a while but the director asked me to design a model that I could play. The whole programme of manufacture was rethought but it was not easy because one always encounters obstacles when innovations are occurring in a company. They sold a good deal of them. The foreman was a bit of a saxophonist and a bit of a clarinettist. It was not easy to perform tests. After a year, we managed to offer an alto which was successful and that I played for 18 years, up to 1948. After which I moved to Selmer’s.

C.D.: For which reason did you leave Couesnon?

M.M.: I was not really satisfied with what Couesnon did at a time when I received more interesting offers from Selmer, there were perspectives, I turned towards the best working situation.

C.D.: How did it work at Selmer’s?

M.M.: This was also laborious. We had to deal with a factory director in Mantes, Lefevre (his son took over). This Mr. Lefevre, very competent, did not like transformations and yet it was necessary to progress to maintain production. We managed to transform things little by little. The Selmer company has developed considerably. It is a very well run business. There has been progress for sure, but it was not always as I wanted it. Nouaux afterwards managed a few more improvements. It is a domain in which one must always get better.

Chris

Interesting. I have an old Couesnon alto that actually plays very well but the table keys are of the older design.

I should revisit Couesnon, someday. I have a bunch more pictures of models designed in the late 1930s, from before Couesnon adopted the "Monopole" design, with the "C" stamped sheet-metal keyguards.

IIRC -- just off the top of my head -- Couesnon had a major restructure about 1935. I wonder how that might figure in.

The interesting thing for me is that I have a, what I assume to be, top range alto from 1928 - just before MM joined Couesnon. It is designated a Super Monopole and is gold plated (it needs repadding and hopefully I will do that in the next month)

And of course I have the most modern alto too, which MM would have had an influence in the design:

This is the instrument that Stephen Howard reviewed when he set it up
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Couesnon_Monopole_II_alto.htm

The more recent one above has the C stamped in the keyguards, but the Monopole designation has been used since at least the 1920s, I think, and my full 1934 catalogue has Monopole Conservatoire as a model (though not Super Monopole) but of the design of my old ones, and will be similar to Ed's

Chris

> my full 1934 catalogue
As seen in
http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/...-Dupaquier-Low-G-Altissmo-G-C-tenor-saxophone, along with a half-dozen other catalogs.

I mentioned on saxpics.com that there were at least two versions of the Monopole -- last pic of Chris J.'s above post. My interest in Couesnon was piqued a bit when I saw the low G horn. It's piqued even more with that Super Monopole. Niiiiiice horn.

Last edited by a moderator:
More of Chris' horn.
Bunch of pretty Couesnons.
Ugly silver Super Monopole.
Not as ugly silver Super Monopole. Currently on eBay for 185 Pounds Sterling.
More current Couesnon from Get-A-Sax (big pics).
My page on saxpics.com.
My current galleries.
Helen's galleries.

I think that'll suffice, ATM.

Two other Selmer-related things: the Couesnon is one of the very few manufacturers to have had a low A alto available -- and I think it was available close to the same time as the Mark VI was around. The other is that I saw that Helen identified one of the horns as a Besson stencil. Depending on which Besson, that could be significant. IIRC, Selmer bough F. Besson.

I'll also mention that, like Selmer, Couesnon is supposed to have some very nice clarinets.

OK, ok, I'll study more, now ....

I've certainly seen a couple of Besson bari saxes that were identical to the most modern Couesnon Monopole, going through eBay.

I can confirm that they make excellent clarinets, owning a few Monopole Conservatoire of varying ages. I also have an Eb soprano and C version. I do have a couple of metal clarinets of Cousnon, but one is a double walled one which I can't wait to play, but having to. It needs a new key made and Steve Howard has it in his 'when I've got time' pile. A couple of years has lapsed so far!!

Back
Top Bottom