Couesnon "Super Monopole"

I first heard of the Couesnon model designation "Super Monopole" a couple of years ago, when a person posted about one on SOTW.

I had not heard of another one again - until.....

I got my hands on one. I bought this a few weeks ago. It does look beautiful, and appears to be gold plated. I had not heard of a gold plated Couesnon before. Design wise there appears to be nothing "Super" about it. It is pre "Conservatoire" labeling, so I wonder if it was "Super" purely because it was plated. It has some pads missing and so does not play in its current state. But I am looking forward to putting some time aside to give it a good sorting out!

So, for historical interest, some pics:

Chris

Pretty horn. What's the manufacture date? There should be a number in the "grenade fruit" on the bell.

I hadn't heard of this model before. However, I have found pics of a bunch more interesting Couesnons from around the 1930s, when they "reformed." I need to post those sometime.

Mine is 1928, and has a serial number on above the grenade, and another number under the grenade, and numbers on the ring of the bow

The serial number on the bell:

The number on my Super near the bow:

The Super Monopole mentioned in SOTW is here - http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...encil-thread&p=1739082&viewfull=1#post1739082 - not only does that also look like gold plate, but also is 1928 (28 in the grenade) and the serial number is 112 lower than mine, and the number below the grenade is 24 lower than mine.

I have an earlier Monopole, very beaten as a "project horn". It is 1927, has a serial number that is 4528 earlier than my 1928 "Super". It also has numbers on the ring of the bow:

Back
Top Bottom