Covid-19 Discussion

I got the shot. My arm is actually still a little sore. I didn't get sick, which is what I was semi-planning for, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

I go grocery shopping on Sunday in the afternoon. There are relatively few people there at that time, but I'd still call it somewhat crowded.

Even after I get the second shot, I'm planning on wearing a mask whenever I go out. I think that's the attitude of quite a few people, too. Maybe we can stop some other highly contagious viruses by doing so.

So everyone but one have gotten their shots in the GOLD Classic Hits ensemble. So we started practicing in April and replaced those who refuse to get the shots. The GOLD sax quartet starts up at the end of May. And the GOLD Big Band starts up in June. Out of 30+ musicians only three have refused to get the shots. We cut them loose and wished them the best. http://seattlesolidgold.com/

Meg and I got our first shots last week. We use the Astra-Zeneka vaccine. No side effects whatever and we get our second shots in 12 weeks. Both bands are now back to normal rehearsals, although we still log in and out and use wide spacing. I found that during the break my sight reading has improved but my fingers have not. Both bands are down a few members, although non from covid-related problems. Because Oz got onto it early and hard it kept our numbers relatively low and I don't actually know anybody who caught it. A problem we are having here in Oz is that we have a lot of Indians who have immigrated. A lot of them went back to India to support their familes when covid hit and now they are not allowed back in. India is on our "No Travel" list at present.

One week out from the 2nd moderna shot.

1st shot was pretty uneventful. Tenderness at the injection site was about all I could report as out of the ordinary. Spent the weekend working out doors at the farm and felt fine except when I rolled on to my arm at night.

2nd shot. Spent the afternoon working on my van. No issues at all with anything (aside from launching a stupid clip into another dimension and wasting time searching for it). That night was pretty lousy. Nasty chills, nausea, and injection site more than a little tender. I don't think I got more than 90 minutes of sleep. Next day headaches, exhaustion and extended periods of dizziness. Managed to keep from heaving but my wife (same injection dates/times) wasn't so lucky and had a tough spell at 5 AM. I think she may have been the smart one as she later felt better that day while I did not. Both exhausted that afternoon. Spent 3rd day in bed with the TV on to mask noise of kids/dog. Couldn't really watch anything for more than 5-10 minutes without falling asleep again. Slept soundly that night.

My wife and I are both generally tired here one week later. I'm still having dizzy spells and headaches and getting easily tired. This is far from the sickest I've been, it sounds much worse than it really was, but this lingering lethargy stinks. I find myself NEEDING a nap around 1:00 and can't accomplish anything without closing my eyes for half an hour.

Back
Top Bottom